Need info about Tupolev Tu-2 versions

Just bought an ICM Tu-2. Box looks a bit old and I've seen that it comes boxed as a Tu-2S now, but box contains the very same kit, so I'd like to know the differences between the versions. Now I think the post-war Tu-2 are different than WWII Tu-2, some had 20 mm ShVAK, 4-bladed propellers, one side window or thre smaller ones, etc. I want to know it all... Maybe you can recommend me a book. Thanks a lot in advance. Best regards.

José.

Edited by Zero Enna

Just bought an ICM Tu-2. Box looks a bit old and I've seen that it comes boxed as a Tu-2S now, but box contains the very same kit, so I'd like to know the differences between the versions. Now I think the post-war Tu-2 are different than WWII Tu-2, some had 20 mm ShVAK, 4-bladed propellers, one side window or thre smaller ones, etc. I want to know it all... Maybe you can recommend me a book. Thanks a lot in advance. Best regards.

José.

Jose:

A good book for you is entitled, "Soviet Air Power in World War 2", by Yefim Gordon. The ISBN is: 978-1-85780-304-4. This book was published in 2008, so it should be available for you to purchase online. It is a great reference, and includes most of the aircraft used by Russia during the Great Patriotic War. It has several pages devoted specifically to the Tu-2, including pix and color profiles. I know that the Tu-2 was used after WWII, by the Soviets and Chinese, but this book covers just the WWII period. Still, it is a very important volume and should be included in your reference library.

irregardless of what ICM boxing or even the Encore boxing , the kit plastic is the same.(I have both)

the kit represents a standard (as best we can use the term in this case) late-war version of the aircraft.

the early version had single windows in the aft fuselage , dive brakes and smooth cowlings for the M-82A engines

the version in the box has the main version of the aircraft-triple windows in the aft fuselage ,dive brakes deleted and

"bumps" on the cowlings for the M-82FN engines. (A.K.A. ASh-82FN)

the post-war version (introduced in 1949) has single LARGE windows in the aft fuselage ,changes to the air filters on the tops of the engines,changes to the upper rear gunners canopy and four-bladed propellers.

so in short you should be looking to model an aircraft from 1944 or 1945 --unless you wish to make modifications.

Not "wrong" just right for a different period. The HB kit suggests the early green/black camouflage, which is wrong. Like all production aircraft, they are never as simple as they look at first glance. Actually the HB kit is quite good for external shape, but the interior does need some work.

OK, good to know. One last question, this time about ordnance. The kit comes with two bombs, one of them to be placed in the bomb bay, the other bomb for the spares bin, I think. I'd like to know what kind of bombs they are, I only can find about modern bombs on the net. Best regards.

José.

to be honest the gunner's canopy isn't one of the features I look for to see if it is accurate or not.

it's possible it does have the wrong canopy , but I can live with it.

black/green camouflage is correct for early versions with the dive brakes.

when they eliminated the dive brakes they also eliminated black from the camouflage.

the bombs that come with the kit are a bit over-sized.

it is supposed to be 2 FAB-250's in there if I recall correctly.

let me look through my stuff and I will see what I can find on ordnance.

and I will see if I can post some photos or diagrams.

So only 500 Kg ordnance? I want more :woot.gif:/>/> Big bombs, smaller bombs under wing pylons... I think it will look great when finished. B)/>/>

Best regards.

José.

I was only referencing the internal ordnance load.

if equipped with external racks it can carry more.

the Tu-2 could carry an 800 KG torpedo,so more than 500 KG of bombs is possible.

...took me a bit but I found some stuff....

th_Tu-2-13_zpsd02150e5.jpg

th_Tu-2-aV1EY0Li-2072761146d756183d9075afccfac529_zpscbc706ef.jpg

th_Tu-2-gx24N3Bi-2072761146d756183d9075afccfac529_zpscc7bb898.jpg

th_Tu-2-Pq1QnupS-edae1d7d296212ead43300d4541034d7_zps481c52af.jpg

th_Tu-2-TorpedoBridge_zpsbcde234e.jpg

th_Tu-2R-166304-0_15f1d_99e4a026_L_zps00f13f2e.jpg

th_Tu-2-4-bladeProp_zps28488452.jpg

th_VVS-27-83060170_zpse1c4b64c.jpg

th_Tu-2R-304_zps61c8faf0.jpg

...and the one you have been waiting for.....(drumroll please....)

th_Tu-2-OrdnanceOptions_zps7ea38b4c.jpg

Edited by PFlint