Hello folks!

I'm working to finish my 1/32 Apollo 17 CSM based on the Revell kit.

I've started working on the command module now,and i need some help to understand how some details should be.

My first doubt is the command module hatch. I got the Realspace models kit and cut off the hatch that was on the capsule shell.

My impression is that the hatch frame on the capsule is too thin,compared to some pictures of real capsules as well as next to the Realspace hatch. What do i have to do? Is it only the internal part of the hatch frame that is too thin or is it the whole capsule shell that Revell made too thin?

Here is a picture:

i948678_CommandModule.jpg

Thanks!

Edited by GumDrop86

I think it kind of depends on if you're doing the clear pieces clear or painting the whole thing. Here are a couple of the better shots I've found that illustrate what the area around the hatch area looks like. Like you said you can see it is quite a bit thicker than in the kit. As I understand it, the command module is built in several layers. I'm pretty sure the whole interior for the most part should be thicker on the model. However if you do that then the internal parts won't without some serious work. If you're painting the clear pieces, I think if you just thicken the area around the hatch and perhaps taper it out to the kits shell it should look ok. It's been a while since I built this model, but when I did my splashdown diorama with it, seems like I built up the area a little with some sheet styrene to fatten it up.

If you're leaving it clear...well that could be a challenge.

http://cdn.ph.upi.com/collection/fp/upi/7005/600f2992f271c021b0d44dff01fc136c/Remembering-Neil-Armstrong_3_1.jpg

https://c2.staticflickr.com/4/3397/3430957451_c132772c6b_z.jpg

Good luck and post some pics of your build!

Bill

Edited by niart17

Thanks for the images!

Since i want to do the interior i will only add a styrene frame on the inside of the hatch,as well as a styrene strip all around the hatch hole,to reproduce that kind of sealing you can see in the pictures.

After this i will paint the interior with aircraft gray,add the windows frames and lights on the wall,then i will start with the mylar strips on the exterior.

I will post a few pics of my work on the service module,i'm finishing the SIM Bay now and i'm working to reproduce the Yagi antenna.

Hello,

here are a few updates,i have almost finished the parts to be installed in sector 4 of the Service Module.

Basically i have largely rebuilt the fuel cells as well as the lh2 tank and the oxygen tanks,tomorrow i will finish the other small details still missing and i will place everything inside the SM.

I also worked on the SPS engine,adding al the welding lines inside the bell and smoothed away the ones on the outside,since they are not visible in pictures of the real hardware.

I'm having some trouble with the humbrol polished aluminium...i mean,look at the oxygen tanks,the should have come out with a very "metallic shiny look",instead they are more like the would have looked with a coat of matt aluminium...i don't know why they came out like that,it's the first time i have this kind of problem with polished aluminium,is someone has experienced a similar problem an explanation is welcomed :)

208gtfk.jpg

rmimw1.jpg

Looking great so far!

As for your paint issue. Hard to say for sure since I can't tell how large these parts are, but it looks like the surface is rather grainy. It's going to be nearly impossible to get a nice shiny finish on a grainy surface since all "shiny" really means is smooth. I would suggest using some sort of surface primer and sanding them to get them as smooth as possible before painting. Also, a lot of people like to use glass black as a base coat to get metallics shiny. Lately I've been simply using Testors spray cans of buffing metallic paints and I've been relatively pleased with them for most surfaces. I probably wouldn't do anything requiring a mirror finish with them, I'd use Alclads or something, but for general metal parts they actually work pretty well. And much easier to find.

Good luck.

Bill

This morning i gave another coat of polished aluminium,after mixing it for 10 minutes.

it is improved a little bit,but not much.

Unfortunately i don't have the chance to get Alclad polished aluminium before the deadline,maybe i will come back on some of the parts in the future,or at least on the ones that were really shiny and cromed on the real spacecraft

Hello,finally i solved the problem with polished aluminium.

I'm working now on the sets frame for the capsule interior.

I don't know if there are other modelers here who lready built this thing but,at a firt look the seats look to small to me,they should be larger. I'm thinking about remaking them,at least the seat frames,keeping all the other pieces.

What do you think?

I don't know if there are other modelers here who lready built this thing but,at a firt look the seats look to small to me,they should be larger. I'm thinking about remaking them,at least the seat frames,keeping all the other pieces.

What do you think?

I don't think the seats are that outta scale. Are you thinking they're out by a 1/2" or 1 cm?

My CSM has been stalled for almost 2 years but I do recall deciding they were quite okay.

Rebuilding them will be a lot of ... uh ... fun-n-n for you ... don't be shy about showing us if you do decide to rebuild 'em!

Pete

• 2 weeks later...

Hi guys,

i'm close to the deadline,i still have to apply bare metal foil on the command module,hope to do that tonight.

Meanwhile here are some pictures of the parts i remade or built from scratch for this model:

1-Apollo 17 SIM BAY

rtp5a9.jpg

2eg8oee.jpg

2-fuel cells

143ols1.jpg

3-Yagi antenna,dipolar antennae boxes and high gain antenna

e1b3td.jpg

4-oxygen tanks

nnl8aw.jpg

5-hydrogen tank

ermur6.jpg

Hope you like them!

Hey Pete,

for the High gain antenna dishes i will use photoetched parts that comes with the CM interior set i used for the capsule.

If i had to built them from scratch i would probably used heat molded styrene dishes or something similar.

Matt