Saturn V / LEM Loading Question

Hey guys, I've been doing research for my Saturn V build and noticed something I can't quite figure out. When they load out the LEM on to the stack, in all of the picture I've run across I can't see the RCS Plume deflectors anywhere in sight. Do these things fold away somewhere, or they just not easily seen or am I just crazy? If anyone can shed some light on this I'd really appreciate it. A pic or a drawing of where they go would be great!

In this photo of a load out, they don't seem to be anywhere in sight that I can make out.

ap13-69-HC-1260HR_zpsd4f53580.jpg

Thanks,

Bill

Edited by niart17

I've sent an email to a LM expert and will letcha know.

But, I will assume that those deflectors, being pretty fragile, would be installed after the LM is seated inside its garage on the top of the 3rd stage.

Okalee dokalee?

Pete

The Plume Deflectors were installed after Apollo 9 when scorching was discovered on the descent stage.

Here's the response from the LM expert, Paul Fjeld ...

"The "Coal Chute" plume deflectors were indeed installed on the pad. They had three months to get the LM ready after it went to the VAB so a lot of work was done on the vehicle. That was always the plan so they had work platforms in those tight quarters and contortionist training for the pad crew (I'm slightly kidding!). The LM goes in the SLA missing lots of bits and comes out a butterfly, 100,000 miles (and moving) over the earth!"

So now we know! :thumbsup:

Pete

There was no plume deflector on Apollo 5, 9 & 10. On Apollo 11, they realized the RCS could damage instruments in the various quads so they designed the plume deflector and installed them while the LM was already in the Saturn V and the launcher on the pad.

In the particular picture, some panels are missing and the RCS protections are on, so I believe it's just a trial for installing the fairing. What is sure is that the plume deflectors cannot be folded, they also probably obstructed access to the quads in some ways. My guess is that they were installed at the last minute before the last installation of the fairing.

Vincent

Awesome, thanks for the response guys. I figured it had to be something like that. And the only pic I had of the LEM still inside of the adaptor but in flight was actually some shots from the test missions so the plume deflectors weren't there either; which added to my confusion about where they went. Now I know. Thanks again guys.

Bill