1/72 Tamiya F-16C RSAF Black Knights

Hi all,

I'm currently building a 1/72 Tamiya F-16CJ with the RSAF Black Knights scheme.

Kit is built mainly OOB except the seat and exhaust.

Decals are from Miliverse. A 1/48 version is on the way

The scheme that I'm going for

e6b7125c7097cb7eba98f733cbbf772c.jpg

IMG_20140926_155951.jpg

Made a photocopy of the decals because I intend to paint the scheme on instead of decals

IMG_20140926_160010.jpg

First time picking out cockpit switches and dials and I think I need more tips with it..

IMG_20140926_154932.jpg

Resin seat detailed and weathered.

IMG_20140926_160414.jpg

IMG_20140926_160603.jpg

Here are some videos about the Black Knights, there are some amazing in flight footages!

Painting a F-16C

Black Knights promo 1

Black Knights promo 2

Comments and tips are welcome!

Ben

PS: Anyone know how to repair a cracked canopy? Cracked mine while trying to remove the seam

i don't think there is a way. Being a clear part, the crack will always show. Best to replace it.

What are you going to use to get the small intake and P&W engine?

I'm using an Aires exhaust for the F-16I Sufa but have not thought of anything for the intake.

Do you have any recommendations?

Ben

if you have a Hasegawa kit with the small intake, see how that parts break down looks compared to the Tamiya. I know the Revell and Hasegawa parts of the intake do not match up well. The Academy intake is not the best shape wise IIRC.

That looks workable! The Hasegawa intake is not very deep, but it is all one piece, so no fiddly seem filling. In the past, i have cut off the back plate, and then painted the "wall" facing the opening black.

Ben, this is going to be one heck of a conversion. Hope it comes out well!

Some other things to note:

-The Black Knights F-16s have the older wingtip missile launchers instead of the LAU-129s, since Tamiya already has them molded onto the wings you need to chop them off and put the other launch rails on them.

-RSAF F-16s have a different mounting for the bird slicers IFF than the ones in the Tamiya kit, being raised instead of flush. I think the Academy F-16 boxings have this part marked as not-for-use, or scratchbuilding one is also an option.

Watching with interest! :thumbsup:/>

Hi there, I currently don't have the older launchers and am trying to find one. We actually use the LAU-129 launchers on wing tips but I'm not sure why they revert to the S210 launcher for Black Knights operation. I know because I was a F-16 crew chief in the RSAF. :)

Ben

• 2 weeks later...

Painted tamiya flat white and flat red on some parts and masked out the moon, stars and stripes. It was a painful session to cut out each mask by hand. So here's how it looks like now.

IMG_20141019_195528.jpg

IMG_20141019_223535.jpg

Also added a drop of flat black to make the radome look one shade darker to simulate dirt accumulation.

IMG_20141019_223632.jpg

Hi guys,

I think I have a problem. I just sprayed another coat of Tamiya flat red and the colour turned out more orange than it's first coat.

I would like to ask if anyone knows what went wrong? Is it inconsistent mixing ratio of thinner & retarder or just bad luck.

Thanks,

Ben

So I've decided to give up on this and buying a new kit to carry on because of excessive sanding when I was trying to remove the second coat of red. The beautifully riveted and engraved wings became a cheap piece of plastic triangle.

I will be reusing the cockpit and intake for the next kit.

Lessons learnt, never mix two different types of ratio for main body colour.

On the bright side, I got to see how my masking went. I'll say it's almost perfect.

IMG_20141022_043430.jpg