Sorry for the lack of updates, I have been doing a few bits, but it didnt really justify an update..but as I have been putting all the individual builds together it is now time to show how it is going.

I decided to open up the tail gunners access ahtch as it seemed a waste to hide all the eduard PE, so a bit more scratch building done, including the shroud for the tail wheel. I have alos added the sides to the bomb bay and started to detail the nose section. I am now at a point where I have added and masked most of the clear parts.

I am getting really excited and spending quite alot of time making sure the fuselage will close up without too many problems, which is proving to be quite a challenge with all the different resin, pe and scratch building parts I have used.

B17A_zps3d9a8898.jpg

B17B_zps1411ba13.jpg

I have finally started painting the interior; I decided to go with an interior green with a dark green wash. I have also started to pick out some of the instrument detail insulation and I have attempted my first wood effect using light brown, with a darker wash and finished of using a shortened brush; applying a brown ochre oil paint.

B17A_zps9ca9e0c8.jpg

B17B_zps8994852b.jpg

B17C_zps38ce5921.jpg

Gaaaaaah. Why go to all that trouble and then paint it interior green? Interior green was never used on 17s. Unless they have repainted Sally in Europe with it now that it's restored idk but most everything in there should be natural metal aside from the cockpit areas. Which should either be a dull dark green or a bronze green. Or both!

Go back to 2011 group builds I believe there's a 15 page thread on Fort information.

The cockpit and front gunners/room compartment was dark Bronze Green. The Bombay was almost all NM. The Bulkhead doors, and floors were wood, and generally left unpainted. You've put in so much time and effort into your build, I would hate to see you make this type of error.

Joel

They did that on their own then to preserve the metal presumably. A period aircraft had zero interior green on it at all and that's fact. No problem with building the restored bird. Carry on!

Absolutely. Most restored birds are painted very differently when compared to original WWII Forts. As you say, corrosion protection is far more important than accurate representation on airworthy airframes.

• 3 weeks later...

Great progress made over the holidays, the fuselage is now closed up, it was a bit of a trial and I ended up using quite alot of putty to make things right, but I am very happy with the result.

I also finished off the quick boost engines and found a delightful Signiofier generator (put put) used for starting the starter batteries!

b17a_zps00bf1854.jpg

b17c_zps2f33caea.jpg

b17d_zps58eb05dd.jpg

b17b_zps4bd07296.jpg

b17e_zps7e0b3eea.jpg

b17f_zps03bc7d73.jpg

b17g_zps3c039933.jpg

b17h_zps03e89221.jpg

b17i_zps209dae20.jpg

Lots of progress this week. The engine cowlings have been done, using my own mask 9which I am particularly proud of, Vallejo Air paints used for the majority of the fuselage and I gave AK interactives True metallic paste ago, and I have to say I am rather impressed by it!

b17f_zps803f72f8.jpg

b17e_zps6b6fd274.jpg

b17g_zps00ca3f2e.jpg

B17K_zpsf54c5550.jpg

B17M_zps6d7d5269.jpg

B17O_zpsa6903cca.jpg

B17P_zpsfe56c439.jpg

So, the paintwork complete, a coat of goss and decals applied.....

B17V_zpsd537f234.jpg

B17U_zps99e5cca3.jpg

B17T_zps91d6cf74.jpg