Doing some pre-modelling research for CF-5A

I have a Kinetic kit coming, and I have a few books, but none of them actually state whether the camo is soft or hard edged. I plan on doing the wrap-around green & gray, symmetrical era, low vis markings, but wondering about the slime lights, and when did they get added? Also, which sea did it have, in case I want to go aftermarket. I have the nice decal sheet from Mike Belcher to use, so I am good there.

TIA

Brad

The camo is definitely soft, but translates into a very small transition in 1-48th, I used paper masks about 2mm off of the plastic and got great results...

The slime lights were pretty much always there for the symmetrical era camos...

The sheet from Belcher has no stencils to speak of, you should go with Leading Edge, definitely better...

What do you mean by "sea" ??

You can check out the results here:

http://www.arcforums.com/forums/air/index.php?showtopic=269811&st=0&p=2555986&hl=cf-5a&fromsearch=1entry2555986

I have a Kinetic kit coming, and I have a few books, but none of them actually state whether the camo is soft or hard edged. I plan on doing the wrap-around green & gray, symmetrical era, low vis markings, but wondering about the slime lights, and when did they get added? Also, which sea did it have, in case I want to go aftermarket. I have the nice decal sheet from Mike Belcher to use, so I am good there.

TIA

Brad

Edited by yvesff

Hi Yves, I meant seat. Thanks for the reply. Are the kit stencils ok?

Brad

Yes the kit stencils are Ok.... However if you can source the LE one you won't be disappointed.

As for the Slime lights they were added sometime in the '70s just check your Refs on the Airframe you are doing along with the time-frame.

Emil

Hi Yves, I meant seat. Thanks for the reply. Are the kit stencils ok?

Brad

The kit seats are passable, but you can buy some great aftermarket from Wolfpack, with Lucky Models free shipping they are worth every penny.

as for the stencils, there are some in the kit decals, which are also pretty nice, but there aren't enough for me...

Formation lights were added around the mid 70's. They we're on the CF-5 I trained on in Borden during my TQ3 training. I was course 8606, I know the jet was there in 82 when I was an air cadet. We had our course picture with the jet and it has slime lights.

I'd use the Belcher decals and supplement them with the Leading Edge decals. The Belcher set does have the major stencils, so Emil isn't 100% correct. I'd test a decal you aren't going to use on the Leading Edge sheet, as lately all of my decals have been failing. They explode or dissolve completely. Perhaps a spray of the Microscale clear finish will help if this occurs.

Belchers decals are printed by Superscale or Microscale, so no worries with them.

Scooby,

With all do respect.... I didn't say that... I did think it though. But yes you are right you can build a CF-5 using the Belcher Sheet, He just doesn't cover all the small stencil data that you would get on the LE sheet. He also doesn't include Slime Lights. LE's latest CF-5 sheet is nice and it will not disappoint.... my copy has not shattered.

I do wish that Canuck would do a sheet that covers CF-5s of all eras and types.

It's been a downward spiral for LE IMO which is a shame..... I won't buy directly from him anymore. Great product as far as subject matter goes, yes the older decals do shatter but a coat of either Future or Liquid decal film does solve some problems. I would say his arrogance and should I say lack of communication have been his downfall.

But yes to the subject.... to do it on the cheap. The Belcher decals and kit decals will work. An aftermarket seat would be a good addition A less expensive option would be to find a set of AMS resin seats but Wolfpack are nice. AMS resin also does an exhaust set for the F-5E which can pass on an A.

:cheers:

Emil

Scooby,

With all do respect.... I didn't say that... I did think it though. But yes you are right you can build a CF-5 using the Belcher Sheet, He just doesn't cover all the small stencil data that you would get on the LE sheet.

Well, I thunk it and I said it, I looked at my Belcher sheet again, and there are nothing that I would call stencils on it...

...It's been a downward spiral for LE IMO which is a shame..... I won't buy directly from him anymore. Great product as far as subject matter goes, yes the older decals do shatter but a coat of either Future or Liquid decal film does solve some problems. I would say his arrogance and should I say lack of communication have been his downfall.

I do not know what happened with LE, but Canuck will eat his shorts if he does not sort things out !!

Well, I thunk it and I said it, I looked at my Belcher sheet again, and there are nothing that I would call stencils on it...

You do have the Rescue markings and ejection seat danger stuff. So there is some.. Numbering and country markings.....

But it is typical Belcher with many subjects none of the small stuff.

Ok Guys, thanks for the replies. I am just finishing up a Sabre Mk 6, I used LE decals for the project and I'll be honest, I found the decals on the thick side, compared to others I've used. This hasn't been the first time I found this either. Anyway, I'll use the kit stencils, combined with Mike's sheet for this project. I don't consider this on the cheap at all Emil, but you are entitled to your opinion. I'll be adding an AM seat, and Mike's decals, so added to the kit cost, it's no longer cheap.

All the best and happy modeling!

Brad

Scooby,

With all do respect.... I didn't say that... I did think it though. But yes you are right you can build a CF-5 using the Belcher Sheet, He just doesn't cover all the small stencil data that you would get on the LE sheet. He also doesn't include Slime Lights. LE's latest CF-5 sheet is nice and it will not disappoint.... my copy has not shattered.

I do wish that Canuck would do a sheet that covers CF-5s of all eras and types.

It's been a downward spiral for LE IMO which is a shame..... I won't buy directly from him anymore. Great product as far as subject matter goes, yes the older decals do shatter but a coat of either Future or Liquid decal film does solve some problems. I would say his arrogance and should I say lack of communication have been his downfall.

But yes to the subject.... to do it on the cheap. The Belcher decals and kit decals will work. An aftermarket seat would be a good addition A less expensive option would be to find a set of AMS resin seats but Wolfpack are nice. AMS resin also does an exhaust set for the F-5E which can pass on an A.

:cheers:/>

Emil

Sorry Emil, you both have red avvy's so you look to be one and the same. :)

Yeah, I tossed a niclely built Hobbycraft T-33 as I went through three decal sheets on it.

A T-33 is something I haven't built, but not sure I want to throw money at what's available in 1/48 scale. Would be nice to get a new tooled kit.

Brad

Edited by Brad-M