Jump to content

Recommended Posts

Hello people,

I'm Mark from the Netherlands, and I read a lot on the forums here... I don't post that much though...

I'm a loyal 1:72 jet and helicopter builder but when I noticed those new Bandai Star Wars kits comming out I couldn't help getting one. After opening the box I pre-ordered every single one of them :)/>/>/>/>

Anyway I saw a new style TIE by Aigore which I liked a lot and saw Sebastijan mention the Star Wars group build... I started my TIE Advanced a week or so ago and one and one makes three doesn't it..

Only thing is the group build ends monday, so I'll have to make an effort... but it helps setting goals now and then... :)/>/>/>/>

This is my first build ever of something that is not a jet or a helicopter, so I am very curious about it. So far however I really enjoy the build and one of the reasons is the great fit of this (snap) kit. You could build it with no glue at all!

I used some here and there however just to satisfy my mind I guess... :)/>/>/>/>

I already started my build before I knew of this group build, so I don't have that much pictures from the inside and all, but here is what I have so far...






The colors I used are by Gunze, and the source I used is from a site which gave some translations of the completely Japanese instructions: check

I mainly used gloss and matt black H2 and H12, dark grey, medium grey H53 and a lot of other small bits of colors...

On to the exterior:







more in the next post, I was surprised I couldn't post more pics :)/>

Link to post
Share on other sites

I taped off the solar panels just to try something out other then just black.

I misted some coats of matt black, chocolat brown (very much thinned), metallic blue green (again very thinned), clear blue smoke, silver (yep... thinned a lot), smoke, some very thinned black and a gloss coat on them and that specific order, just to try to get some shiny panels I saw in the movie. I print screened some clips from youtube where I saw them again :)/>/>



Now I don't think the picture shows it right, but in realtime it sure has some bling! I like it!


On with some taping and painting...

I gave the base a pre-shade of dark gray and gave it a coat of light gray. After that I used some other colors to highlight some details on it and although they really can't be missed now, I will tone them very much down with different coats of grey and all this weekend... :)/>




Well, that's it for now.. A few days of hard work at the office but this weekend I'm going to try or die on the TIE I guess... still enough to be done, but it's fun!

I'l have a look at all of your builds and learn something from them..

Thanks for letting me join in this late!

Cheers, Mark

Link to post
Share on other sites

welcome to the group build, Mark!

I know how hard it is to photograph the subtle solar panels effect to show the effect - check what I did with my TIEs a few weeks ago.

Wish you all the best to finish the model in time!



Link to post
Share on other sites

Hey guys!

Sorry, I didn't make it in time... I guess I was too optimistic. I had a bit of bad luck also because I let one laser shoot off the sprue and it was missing for half a day. I needed that fixed before painting.

But no excuses, I'm too late!

Here is where I am at now...

I masked the solar panels before painting the body...


I painted the body with the next gunze colours, 7 parts of the gray, 3 parts white and one part blue-gray...


This is what you get after. It consists of multiple coats of the gray mixture, some dark patches, covered with bleached coats of the gray mixture and evened out again with a very thin coat of the gray mixture...



Here is the stand... treated the same way as the Tie, except with the other gray color and some more dark and bright patches...


After it dried enough I did some dry brushing with silver, gray en dark brown on a few spots and covered everything with Flory Models dark dirt wash.


This is what the Tie looks like right now. I'll start whiping of some of it tonight, but I think I won't finish it tonight.

All it needs after that is a coat of semi matt clear varnish.

I'll post the finished model in the display case I guess because the group build is finished...

Link to post
Share on other sites

Allright! I 'm done! Besides the days at the office I needed one more day it seems... :)/>/>/>

Here ere the results... I weathered it with Flory Models wash as stated and gave it a semi matt varnish coat from AKAN. Had some trouble thinning it at first, but after a clean up of my airbrush I managed to get it working great...








Link to post
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

  • Create New...