Anyone else getting error messages when going into the ARC forums that Adobe Flash has crashed? In reading up Flash, it sounds like it's rapidly on the way out due to numerous performance and security issues.

Any subject matter experts here and if so, thoughts on what to do?

Anyone else getting error messages when going into the ARC forums that Adobe Flash has crashed? In reading up Flash, it sounds like it's rapidly on the way out due to numerous performance and security issues.

Any subject matter experts here and if so, thoughts on what to do?

Are you using Firefox, like me? Apparently there were/are some security problems with Adobe Flash, so Mozzila disabled it, hence the problems. All you need to do is update the Adobe Flash to the newest version, which Firefox will give you a link to. After installation, it works fine again.

Are you using Firefox, like me? Apparently there were/are some security problems with Adobe Flash, so Mozzila disabled it, hence the problems. All you need to do is update the Adobe Flash to the newest version, which Firefox will give you a link to. After installation, it works fine again.

The info I've found online says that it's best to simply delete / disable Flash. Most sites don't require it's use any more. Yes - I primarily use Firefox, my kids tend to go with Chrome though.

Wasn't sure if Flash is used in any non-browsing applications like games, etc.?

Firefox disabled a specific version of flash. Just update flash and it will work again just fine.

There are reports that only 11% of websites use flash. This is a bogus claim put out by Apple a couple of years ago when they were trying to kill flash then. It's simply a completely inaccurate claim. Heck, CNN reported this story, along with the 11% claim, yet the videos on their own pages are all Flash based. Just about every website I use on a daily basis use flash in someway shape or form.

Flash is still the #1 development tool for website hosted games. It's not used all that much by large studios, but the number of indie developers that use flash outnumber the large studios by about 100 to 1. Many PC and console games use flash and action script for their front end menus and stats pages.

I switched permanently to FireFox a couple of weeks ago. Chrome was just becoming too restrictive. It was bad enough that they ruined the UI of their NTP, but now they're blocking my own extensions in the guise of 'saving me from myself'. I am now forced to upload my code written for my own use to their servers just so I can download it back on to my own machine to run it. Tired of being forced to play in their walled garden, I just dumped Chrome.

This is unintentionally humorous. Flash has so many security problems that the IT security folks are putting out at least one new security notice per week on just Flash alone. Flash is widely used, but it has so many security flaws it should have been killed 3 or more years ago.

John Hairell (tpn18@yahoo.com)

I use FireFox, how do I update this with it. Thanks for any help.

Chuck

Just update your flash player

https://get.adobe.com/flashplayer/

[edit]. On this page you're given an option to install McAfee Software. Personally, I never, ever, install anything by McAfee. Their software is a bigger problem than the virus' it's meant to protect you from.

Edited by RiderFan