Best F9F panther in 1/48??????

50 minutes ago, Otto said:

I am just looking for a good, properly shaped canopy for my F9F. I accidentally crushed my PJ canopy and the kit canopy I have is way off in shape. I don't know if the Monogram canopy could be made to fit the Trumpeter but I believe it is of good shape. MUCH better than the Trumpeter one.

Otto, I have a spare  FM Cougar canopy. You are welcome to it if you want it. It is pretty much the same as the Monogram canopy.

I will include a link for a store that "claims" to have the PJ Productions Panther canopy in stock.

http://sandlehobbies.com/category.aspx?ID=5544

Hannants carries PJ Productions products, but does not list the canopy in their inventory. They do list the Panther drone conversion, but that does not include the canopy.

Rick

I was on the PJ website and it has been discontinued by them. I emailed them and have not received a response. Aviation Megastore has one listed but they are asking 31 Euro for shipping. That is out of this world. I buy from Hannants, Hobbyshop.cz and ModelsUA all the time and the prices are half that for a box weighing 5#.

I am building the Trumpeter F9f as I read all of these post.  The Trumpeter canopy is wider than the Monogram's Panther canopy by about 1mm.  Also I do not like the "fatness" of the Trumpeter wings towards the trailing edge.  This fatness is the same as you find in the AMT kit.   My other dislike on the Trumpeter kit is the way they did the instrument panel and this is not so much about it being wrong, I just personally don't like the metal, film, plastic sandwich.   The Trumpeter Panther is not bad, and it will look fine sitting on my shelf, however the Monogram just has that hard to express "feel" in the way it looks when completed.  It has the proper "sit" and look to me.    On the length issue, I will leave that to others.  By the way, Monogram used drawing supplied by Grumman for the Panther, as well as station drawings out of manuals.  I cannot believe Grumman misled Monogram on the Panther as Grumman was very helpful with the A-6 and F-14 projects.    

I don't know about today, but some years ago when Bob Kress was an engineer at Grumman he was a modeler. He would provide any kind of drawings. I got F9F and A-6 sectional drawings from him with no problems. I still have those somewhere. He would also print them in any scale desired. Mine were in 1/12