1/32 Hawker Hurricane(Cloth wings)

Hey guys! Smallish update for you guys today. Had Quite a week this week. Came down with something called sinusitis. Doctor said it's like a throat, ear, and sinus infection all at once or something. Happy times. But it's given me some more time to work on the hurri. Been doing a heap load of sanding. I've made the discovery you don't have to be sitting alone at the bench when doing that sorta thing. So I've been watching some Dexter and working on the wing roots. Pretty wild show. If you haven't seen it I recommend it!

Anyways, enough talk. Lets get to it :)

I started off today's session by joining the horizontal stabilizers. I've got off the elevators already. Also, I just want to give a heads up to anyone curious about building this hit. The horizontal stabs joins have no tabs to slot into. So I made put pins in the stabilizer to strengthen the join. Shoulda got a pic of that, my bad

098_zpsssygffnt.jpg

099_zpsqctoo5mv.jpg

I see a lot more sanding in my future!

Turned my attention to the gun ports in the leading edge. Not exactly a gun mantlet, is it? gotta get tanks outta me head XD

093_zpstx2pk0dr.jpg

OOOOOH BOYY! Exuse the second picture, didn't notice the blur till I uploaded -wont happen again.

095_zpsd6f21iri.jpg

094_zpsiffd9ikv.jpg

Also glued the landing light stuffs in. The lenses and junk are in there, just can't see them in this pic. Just a heads up if you're building this particular kit, Before you glue the wing halves together; glue the lens assemblies FIRST! I had to scratch build mine as the kit ones wouldn't fit after assembly. Looks like I just bought a big bouquet of Oopsy Daisies!

115_zpsuhpekcpp.jpg

116_zpspmkhbs7p.jpg

More sanding to follow.

I also did something either really brave or really, REALLY stupid. You be the judge. I wanted to show off the cockpit a little more, so I cut the door off :3

112_zpsohz5o1a1.jpg

Of course in doing so the resin bit chipped a bit, so some styrene surgery and its pretty well fixed. Now I've just gotta do some repainting, maaaybe a bit of filling.

106_zps0qriahit.jpg

113_zpsnnu8skyz.jpg

More to come in a few short minuets. Stay tuned!

Edited by Banana11000

Added this mi-jigger too. Not sure what is it. Something to get the wind-speed? eh. The kit part was kinda crap so I drilled out the tops.

107_zps1sjvhrrj.jpg

I also glued the windscreen in. Yikes... That fit is a little iffy. Gonna require quite a bit of filler.

114_zpsrljierhx.jpg

Then I masked the canopy n' junk. Kinda fed up with liquid masking, so I thought I'd try something perhaps a tad more reliable. Enter Tamiya Tape!

096_zpskre4zwn6.jpg

097_zpssohrq4gs.jpg

Did some radiator stuffs. But first, check out this bananas ejector pin mark! Neat-O

100_zpsusqp3zvy.jpg

Well, I cleaned that off and turned my attention to the front of the beast. Lot of flash around the intake.

Before

101_zpscyrjxdog.jpg

Did some meshy things

103_zpsoz9erhlm.jpg

Glued it all together.

104_zps6x0xf202.jpg

108_zpsfdawvrrq.jpg

Excuse the quality of the shot :)/>

111_zpstn1sqfsb.jpg

Well that's all for now guys. Gotta go and wright another anthropology paper. Oh joy!

Thanks for reading!

Till next time,

Colin

:)/>

Great build.

You might just want to check your references, but I'm fairly sure that those two little "lumps" just behind the spinner on the engine cowling are only on later marks.

Edited by BroadyM
Great build.

You might just want to check your references, but I'm fairly sure that those two little "lumps" just behind the spinner on the engine cowling are only on later marks.

Thanks Broady! You're totally right about the lumps. Just did some more research focusing on the nose, they are only on the later models. Thanks for the save! Can't believe I missed that one :/

Cheers,

Colin

Quite a fight she's puttin' up, yeh, Colin? :lol: Always liked those Hurricane fighters. :wub:

Awesome work; much patience!

Added this mi-jigger too. Not sure what is it. Something to get the wind-speed? eh.

107_zps1sjvhrrj.jpg

Uh-huh... that'd be the Venturi tube.

Cheers, Mr Arthur. :cheers:

Unc²

Quite a fight she's puttin' up, yeh, Colin? :lol: Always liked those Hurricane fighters. :wub:

Awesome work; much patience!

Yeah she sure is puttin up a fight! Thanks :)

Uh-huh... that'd be the Venturi tube.

Cheers, Mr Arthur

OMG of course! I can't believe I missed that! My physics teacher would be ashamed!

Cheers,

Colin

:)

Hey guys! Another quick update for ya. Pulled a monster of a paint session last night - 6 hours- and got the basic camouflage done. Now, just some shading and whatnot.

Here's the old girl before it's final coat of primer. Not the landing lights are actually fitting now! And the windscreen has been filled. The only major issue I have yet to figure out the solution to is the wing lights. My cleaning lady threw out my clear sprue along with the lenses and wing lights! :( Any idea's on how a can construct some of these? I've got that testers clear glue for clear parts, but it doesn't build up very well..

Anyway's here's the update. Sorry, picture got a little over saturated..

001_zpsazlsebge.jpg

I then gave her a coat of NATO black primer. I noticed a few bad spots, so I stripped the paint off those areas and fixed them up.

002_zpsr9rh1il4.jpg

003_zpsj4ieqp0q.jpg

The underside got the same treatment. Those blotches are just wet paint. Took the photo right after spraying..

004_zpszpkxnqmw.jpg

There nice and black. I also gave it a clear coat, just in case. ;)

005_zpswn4k1pbg.jpg

Started the lengthy process of the whole black basing technique. I'm doing a three tone camouflage of 1 of 2 captured Hurricane Mk 1's from the Regia Aeronautica.

Why an Italian bird you ask? Well, I'm just bloody sick of looking at those two tone brown and green camouflages. I wanted a challenge. Something I haven't done before, get out of my comfort zone. Funny thing is, this is the first British- manufactured bird I've ever done. And I do it in foreign service! My grandfather would be rolling over in his grave if he saw that. (Brit who flew for the RAF) XD

The first spotty application is a mix of Tamiya Flesh and White. Probably a 4:2 mix.

006_zpsxolu6wuv.jpg

After that I did the same sort of thing but with NATO Brown. Just to add some variation.

007_zpsbevhboto.jpg

Then I went over the thing with heavily thinned Desert Yellow with some flesh, white, and chromate green added. Almost came out as a light Dunkelgelb. Although the picture doesn't show it, because of all the tones under it :P

009_zpsrflehu49.jpg

008_zpsmuw7stxp.jpg

These pics don't do it justice, It blended much better in real life. XD

More to come in a few short minuets!

I tried my hand at the three tone Camouflage next. The colours used are a Lightened version of Hull Red, and a straight up Dark Green. The green looks a little out of place right now, it's the only colour I've shaded so far.

010_zpsv0o8hctb.jpg

012_zpstksz0bn6.jpg

013_zpsoot5klx7.jpg

014_zpse1rhccco.jpg

015_zpschmnuydc.jpg

Well, that's all for now. In the next update I'll be fading the red and yellow. Then do a little blending and shading to tie it all together.

Thanks for reading!

Till next time,

Colin

:cheers:

:woot.gif:Whoa! Nice paint job, Colin! I like the way ya've achieved those demarcation lines; they're so subtle. Lookin' sexy!

OMG of course! I can't believe I missed that! My physics teacher would be ashamed!

Aw, don't be so hard on yerself; my sheila thought it was a claxon (yeh, installed the other way round, hun? :rolleyes: ).

Cheers, my mate

Unc²

:woot.gif:/> Whoa! Nice paint job, Colin! I like the way ya've achieved those demarcation lines; they're so subtle. Lookin' sexy!

View PostBanana11000, on 13 December 2015 - 07:16 AM, said:

Aw, don't be so hard on yerself; my sheila thought it was a claxon (yeh, installed the other way round, hun? :rolleyes: ).

Cheers, my mate

Thanks Uncle! Can't wait to get back to the bench, absolutely chompin' at the bit ;)

Sorta looks like a little twisted one, eh? How funny would that be? A wee little horn - on the outside of the fuselage! XD

Cheers,

Colin

:D

Edited by Banana11000

Hey guys, wee update for ya.

The winter break is finally upon us high school folk, and feeling a weight of my shoulders, I decided to slack off and do some painting, instead of another bloody anthropology paper. Doing Psychology stuff right now- writing a paper on Sigmund Freud What a crazy little dude! kidding of course ;).

Just saw star wars too. Anyone else?

Well, before we get down to it, a few updates on other fronts,

Just got a delivery from the good folks at Ultracast today. Decals Galore!!

015_zpseupttftd.jpg

I also got my next commission set up, This was given to me recently by the nice guys at Great Hobbies. They want me to build some stuff for their display cabinets and what not.

016_zpsflegchxw.jpg

anyways, model time!

So after taking a long hard look at the hurricane I decided I'd redo the tan. The overspray from the red and green really darkened it up, so I went over it again really carefully with a pale tan. Then I did some touchups with the red and green, some more fading as well. So all the basic painting is done now. Got all the fading and crud done, next I'll probably do a bit of shading or something like that, then It'll be on the decals!

Right then, so everyone remember this?

013_zpsoot5klx7.jpg

I started respraying the tan. Did the outline of it first. I've finally started to understand how to use my airbrush -Iwata HP-C Plus to the best of it's abilities.

001_zpsc2sdqam0.jpg

Yeah, well this is how it turned out after a bunch of shading. Not to shabby considering this was me airbrushing just 6 months ago.

1%203_zpsxggds8cy.jpg

011_zpsprzp49kt.jpg

012_zps4ivu4lo7.jpg

002_zps6we1nvwu.jpg

007_zpsskyvnirg.jpg

Edited by Banana11000

alrighty, quick dinner break and we're back at it.

Also painted the bottom of the bird today. Was a little lazy in trying to figure out the exact colour for the bottom of these Italian birds, pretty much looked like a Light Neutral Grey, or a Dark/Medium Sea Grey?

Did my usual modulation stuffs. I did the base shading with Deck Tan. If any of you guys are at all curious in the exact way I do this, lemme know. I'd be more than happy to make a tutorial. :)

Apologies for the horrid photo quality. Orange was the closest thing I could use to mask my desk XD

003_zpsikxae5cz.jpg

After four hours of painful shading and highlighting I got this. The overspray tone was Medium Sea Grey from Tamiya's range :). Looking a wee overdone in these photos, but looks much more believable in person; a few parts will certainly need some touch-ups though. Oh yeah, I know right now the flap wells looks hilarious, but I've just put those on the back burner till I've got the painting and whatnot out of the way. Much less chance of damaging the parts that way.

009_zps8psq9swr.jpg

010_zpsdfti4vbj.jpg

011_zpsmzk0k9qt.jpg

012_zpsjutiszrv.jpg

Oh yeah, almost forgot to mention, the surface of the model looks really glossy because I shot a gloss coat over it before photographing it. I find when left un-sealed, Tamiya paint is pretty easy to scratch and damage.

Also did the nose. The particular bird I'm modelling has a bright yellow nose.

001_zpsfo7lolnr.jpg

Again, the photo, sorry :(

002_zpshudmngb3.jpg

Did some subtle shading with it again. Needs to be blended in a bit more. Not sure if I should fade it out more or deepen it with some oranges and warm colours? Thoughts?

007_zpsxmxn6izm.jpg

Just some parting photos :)

013_zpszmdy6jr2.jpg

006_zpsen1gr7qr.jpg

As some of you might know, I usually keep a time log these days, here's a few of the pages I've got up right now. I just tape them to my cabinet or keep it close at hand. Got a few more sheets for this one tucked away in a binder, but this is just what I have up right now XD :)

021_zpsn47vwokv.jpg

Well, sadly that's all I've to show for now. This thing is really turning into a time monster. Got about 140-150 hours put into the thing right now, last I checked. Pretty ridiculous for me, I remember when I was a wee kid I'd build kits in under a day.. Having a blast with it though!

Till next time guys, thanks for reading :)

Cheers,

Colin

• 2 weeks later...

Well guys, it's been quite a long, sanding-filled, road. But I'm finally at the end of it.

I finished up this not so small Italian bird on New Years Day.

Anyways, here we go! I'll post a few of the pics here, the others will be up in the display case

003_zpsnvo4w7ug.jpg

010_zps4hwz2qol.jpg

016_zps8yc0ihz5.jpg

017_zps3lb4xbnr.jpg

Alrighty, check the display case for more!

Thanks for following along this build if you did. Thanks for reading guys.

On the bench next is Tamiya's 1/48 Storch. Stay tunned.

Cheers,

Colin