Just curious if anyone here knows if the AH-1W ever used any sort of winter covers for cold weather ops? Any help/photos would be most appreciated. Cheers!

We were in Afghanistan during the winter months in 2004/05 and didn't use any covers on our birds while there. I'm not saying something like that has never been used, just saying we didn't for this deployment. This was at Forward Operating Base Orgun-e-Kalan, near the border with Pakistan.

Dave

0427641-R1-017-7_zpssxtk9o0a.jpg

Oh, and while not directly related to your question, here is a photo of one of our birds showing the exhaust without the fairing in place. A couple of our aircraft flew many combat missions configured like this.

IMG019_zpsdzglwpwm.jpg

Just curious if anyone here knows if the AH-1W ever used any sort of winter covers for cold weather ops? Any help/photos would be most appreciated. Cheers!

Not that I recall. The Whiskey has only had a few camo schemes in it's career to my knowledge and by declaring that someone will provide new info.

Tri tone color, Two tone Sand (either brown or grey), Zebra (tri tone without green 269 only), Two tone Grey. We like conformity, consistency and don't like to change what works. I don't think there was a fleet all green Whiskey as it was tri tone by then.

Not that I recall. The Whiskey has only had a few camo schemes in it's career to my knowledge and by declaring that someone will provide new info.

Tri tone color, Two tone Sand (either brown or grey), Zebra (tri tone without green 269 only), Two tone Grey. We like conformity, consistency and don't like to change what works. I don't think there was a fleet all green Whiskey as it was tri tone by then.

Taiwan has all green AH-1W's.

Thanks for the info guys. Am more interested in the aircraft covers/plugs etc versus the colors, but all great info none the less.

Speaking of colors, does anyone have any refs of the AH-1W's that hand the bluish grey color over light sand? Like this:

LINK

Thanks for the info guys. Am more interested in the aircraft covers/plugs etc versus the colors, but all great info none the less.

Speaking of colors, does anyone have any refs of the AH-1W's that hand the bluish grey color over light sand? Like this:

LINK

We did use the standard intake/exhaust covers when the birds were on the deck. They weren't specific to cold weather ops though.....same ones we used back here in the states and in any other theater of operations.

Dave