I just completed this Special Hobby “Sabre Hog” in the kit’s MASS ANG “Irish” markings. Not a bad kit. I didn’t bother with the little photoetched vortex generators under the stabs - just too small to handle and won’t be missed by viewers (unless I tell them - oops, I just did). I used the kit decals except for the red fuselage commander’s stripes. Mine folded up and I couldn’t untangle them. If you do this one, cut the top fuselage stripes in half (left and right) to make them easier to handle. I ended up using decal stripes applied individually. I left off the bottom stripes (there I go confessing sins again). One thing about the markings instructions is that if you put the top stripes decal on as shown, they won’t align with the belly stripes as shown. That happens a lot with markings instructions and you don’t find out until you have one of the decals in place. Which one is right? Uhh . . . I had to make the little endplates for the tank fins as none were provided in the kit. Alclad finish.

Although the kit doesn’t give you a piece to show the canopy open, I chopped off the rear apex of the clamshell and glued it to the fuselage, then fashioned a chunk of plastic to serve as an attachment. The open clamshell canopy emphasizes the taller (deeper) fuselage of the H model.

F-86Hweb2_zpsbavr3sm1.jpg

F-86Hweb1_zpsgxsq1gub.jpg

Thanks! Darren, actually, a camouflaged 174th bird is one of the decal choices!

That kit looks like a fun build. I may have to go to the dark side on this one. I grew up in Syracuse and built the history of the 174th in 1/48 scale for their HQ building. I had to use the Collect Aire F-86H kit. Man, do I wish someone...anyone...would come out with a plastic Hog. Of course, I think I want an FJ-3 first!

• 3 weeks later...