Realistic Black finish

Umm, student #51 here, with hand raised.

This question is about that "seeing colors" theory part of the answers. (the practical applications shown in the model photos are fantastic, by the way, and I will join the OP in trying those ideas)

If we work from the theory that we "can't completely see Black or White",,,,doesn't that mean that we already are seeing the White and Black color chips as "off". The same with paints labeled Black and White, wouldn't we be seeing them already as "off" also?

We can't "not see" those two, and then "see" the chips and the paints, after all.

Rex, who has been saying all along that Black and White FS colors were never "true" Black and White, anyway, they are reallllly dark greens and yellows, and reallllly light greens and yellows. (and other colors)

Umm, student #51 here, with hand raised.

This question is about that "seeing colors" theory part of the answers. (the practical applications shown in the model photos are fantastic, by the way, and I will join the OP in trying those ideas)

If we work from the theory that we "can't completely see Black or White",,,,doesn't that mean that we already are seeing the White and Black color chips as "off". The same with paints labeled Black and White, wouldn't we be seeing them already as "off" also?

Technically yes that is correct. Real world paints labelled White & Black are for all practical purposes close enough to satisfy the human eye as what we perceive Black & White to be in 1:1 scale. An everyday object that you swear is blackest of black will still reflect some portion of the light spectrum. Therefore it can be seen by the eye.

The OP questions how to achieve a more pleasing result in a smaller scale object. The background of my original point was simply that Absolute Black and Absolute White are not colours at all. The devil is in the admittedly pedantic details.

We can't "not see" those two, and then "see" the chips and the paints, after all.

Not correct. What you are seeing is what you are seeing, just because somebody slaps a label of Black or White on something doesn't change what it actually is.

Rex, who has been saying all along that Black and White FS colors were never "true" Black and White, anyway, they are reallllly dark greens and yellows, and reallllly light greens and yellows. (and other colors)

Any more disruption to my class from you young Rex and you will be kept after class. :monkeydance:/>/>

I'd offer to clean the blackboard,,,,,,,but, ummm,,,,,well, they are perceived as "off White and off Black" already.

Okay, okay, I'll be good. geez

Thanks for the answer, though, Theory can be fun, eh?