Douglas A-4E Skyhawk 'TOPGUN 56'

This build depicts an A-4E operated by TOPGUN wearing one of the more distinctive Adversary schemes in the 1980s with the silhouette of a MiG-17 painted on its fuselage.

The kit came together quite easily with mistakes entirely my own making. Decals are partially DIY (not by choice) otherwise, this is an OOB build. Anyway, onwards with the next imperfect build. :)

splash-a4e.jpg

hase-a4e-18.jpg

hase-a4e-02.jpg

hase-a4e-16.jpg

hase-a4e-17.jpg

More pictures and build write-up on my site. All comments welcome.

Edited by jesTer

Wow! That looks fantastic! Awesome paintwork!

I have a question regarding the paints that you used. I noticed that you used both Vallejo Model Air (VMA) as well as Vallejo Model Color (VMC). My understanding is that Vallejo Model Color line is more for brush painting rather than airbrushing. How were you able to airbrush the VMC? What airbrush pressure did you use and how did you dilute the VMC?

Edited by JackMan

Thanks all for the kind comments. It's also one of my 'must do' schemes since I first saw it :)/>

I have a question regarding the paints that you used. I noticed that you used both Vallejo Model Air (VMA) as well as Vallejo Model Color (VMC). My understanding is that Vallejo Model Color line is more for brush painting rather than airbrushing. How were you able to airbrush the VMC? What airbrush pressure did you use and how did you dilute the VMC?

For this build, I switched to a much smaller (and quieter) compressor than my diaphragm Sparmax. I think it's a fishpump that outputs only at max 15psi. Using a 0.3 airbrush, 15psi is enough with my usual thinning with Windex (3 drops for every 10 drops of paint) and straight out of the bottle with Model Air. I then add 2 drops of Tamiya Retarder to slow drying times. Also reduces the dried tip problem with acrylic paints.

But on my 0.2 airbrush I need to thin the paint more. I suspect it's because the compressor is only 15psi. I've since started using Vallejo Airbrush Thinner which works very well too. Supposedly Vallejo Thinner has retarder mixed in already but I've found Tamiya retarder to be more potent.

HTH :)/>

Edited by jesTer