Revell P-47 in Bare Metal Foil

I built this Revell P-47 last year. It is my first model using Bare Metal Foil as a NMF. I built a few airplanes using Testors' Metalizer paints, but I was never satisfied with the results, so I started using Bare Metal Foil. I used a rivet tool to make the rivets and Tamyia Smoke to weather the finish. One thing that I like about BMF is that is covers the joint at the wing root which is always difficult to hide. I know that BMF has a bad reputation because most modelers find it to be too shiny. However, I have figured out how to deal with that using a combination of 0000 steel wool to replicate the natural grain of aluminum, and to use Windex with ammonia and Micro Set (which contains vinegar) to make the BMF look like tarnished aluminum. It is a tedious process that demands a lot of patience, but I like the results.

DSCN4823_zpsgxbgp93h.jpg

DSCN4826_zpsswbtrhr2.jpg

DSCN4807_zpszl6l5ghz.jpg

rivet%20detail_zpspmabgnrc.jpg

DSCN4821_zps07zixs1u.jpg

I am somewhat burned out from building airplanes, so I am currently building a model car. After that I have three airplanes ready to be built using Bare Metal Foil, all in 1/48 scale: F-86 Saber Jet, F-104, and B-29. I figure that the B-29 will require about 10-12 sheets of Bare Metal Foil :woot.gif:/>/>/> I also just ordered a 1/48 scale, vacuform B-47 that will get the Bare Metal Foil treatment. I have never built a vacuform model, so I am sure that it will be a very strange experience.

Keep modeling and be happy

Johnny_K

If you've never built a vacuform, I'd highly recommend NOT starting on that B-47. Get yourself a Koster conversion or some other small vac kit such as those in the Wings 48 line; that would be a much better place to start than a large (and, I suspect, very basic) multi-engine kit.

The P-47 looks pretty nice, too.

If you've never built a vacuform, I'd highly recommend NOT starting on that B-47. Get yourself a Koster conversion or some other small vac kit such as those in the Wings 48 line; that would be a much better place to start than a large (and, I suspect, very basic) multi-engine kit.

The P-47 looks pretty nice, too.

That sounds like really good advice. Building the B47 would be like learning how to cook and your first project is cooking Thanksgiving dinner.

Wow! Great looking finish. Did you weather the foil with ammonia after it was applied?

The koster p-47 conversions are great entry vac kits, they all utilize the revell/monogram p-47 kits. Vac fuselages mated to the kit wings.

Charlie

Edited by Charlie D.

Wow! Great looking finish. Did you weather the foil with ammonia after it was applied?

The koster p-47 conversions are great entry vac kits, they all utilize the revell/monogram p-47 kits. Vac fuselages mated to the kit wings.

Charlie

Hi,

I discovered the Simple Green trick after I built this kit. All weathering was done with Tamyia "Smoke". You have to be careful with using Smoke. Your brush need to be wet using water so that the "Smoke" flows. Also, apply the "Smoke" in light layers, you can always add more. Once it dries, which is very fast, it cannot be removed.

Johnny_K