Caulk/Silicone as filler?

Are there any cons to using silicone as a filler? I have some leftover from a bathroom remodel and was thinking of trying it. It's paintable, and to fill in a wing body fairing, would be flexible enough not to crack under any kind of joint stress.  Thoughts? I guess the only con I can think of for seam type work would be difficult in sanding.

See if you can find Vallejo putty in the tube. Both of my LHS had it, but it's also available online at Sprue Bros, Scale Hobbyist, et al. It has a wonderful applicator tip, so it's easy to get into acute joints. Also, you can smooth it with a cotton bud dipped in water, or like silicone caulk, with your wet finger. Unlike silicone caulk, it's easy to clean the tip next time you use it.

BTW, you can also smooth Tamiya Putty White (Sprue Bros, Scale Hobbyist, et al.) with a cotton bud dipped in solvent. I use Mr Color Thinner (Sprue Bros, Scale Hobbyist, et al.), but I expect other solvents will also work. I only use a file or abrasive on putty when I'm trying to feather an edge on a flat or convex surface. Even in this case, though, I shape the putty very close using a solvent-dipped cotton bud to minimize the filing/sanding and potential collateral damage. Masking tape around the joint will minimize collateral damage when using abrasive sticks.Very fine abrasive pads will polish putty and plastic after using abrasives.

Swiss pattern needle files (numbers 0, 2, 4, and 6) will do an amazing job on feathering putty as well as reshaping parts. Finishing with a #6 file won't require polishing with an abrasive pad. See Paul Budzik's Facts on Files for a thorough introduction. Quality files are an excellent investment; I got Grobet Vallorbe needle files from MSC, but other online sites have them too. 

HTH

-- 

dnl

dnl,

I also use Vallejo White Acrylic putty for filling in cracks and small hard to get to areas. And I really like for work around canopies and green house glass. It does shrink quite a bit so multiple coats may be needed.

Joel