IAF F-16D vs F-16I

For the Israeli experts out there, what are the major differences between the Israeli F-16D Barak/Brakeet and the F-16I?  How much work would be involved in backdating the 1/72 Hasegawa F-16I kit to the earlier F-16D Peace Marble III Block 30/40 (called Brakeet by Hasegawa)?  I know there are several larger antenna/sensors that need to be removed, and the conformal tanks need to be left off.  As a Block 52, the Sufa is powered by the P&W engine, while the Barak/Brakeet is a 30/40 which means the GE powerplant, correct?  What other changes are required?  

Thanks in advance!

Mike

The Hasegawa kit already includes the larger intake and the GE exhaust that are the primary differences between the two aircraft.

Next you need to redesign the dorsal spine, as the Barak (Brakeet never existed) two seaters' spine is a simpler design, it however has an addition for landing chute/additional avionics.

There are some minor differences between Blk 30s and 40s spines, for example the number of chaff/flare dispensers on the sides one carries three vs two cannot remember which is which.

For the extended spine you may use parts in the Revell F-16c kit.

Skip the CFTs as I am not aware of the Block 30s and 40s having been retrofitted with the capability to use them.

Also, ECS inlet/exhaust openings above and below intake, sensors on either side of the intake and nose are different. Basically just don’t use trees L N Q or T as most of those parts are specific to the Sufa (that’s a simplification, check your references). 

Isradecal has books for both the Barak and Sufa with extensive walkaround photos that clearly show the differences. 

Many thanks for the information!

Out of curiosity, do any of the other Hasegawa F-16D kits (besides the long OOP Brakeet release) come with the correct extended spine?  Just curious if one of the other kits (Greek/UAE, etc) might be a better starting point than the Sufa?

Edited by 757flyer

By extended spine I assume you mean a dorsal spine and parabrake extension together. MigMech is correct the VISTA has both but may be hard to find. 

Hasegawa kit 02214 is an F-16D Block 52+ with both spine and parabrake. It also has both inlets, both engine exhausts and bulged main gear doors. However the rear IP is incorrect in all D-model kits, Hasegawa continues to provide the rear IP from an early F-16B (in both 72nd & 48th), they never updated it. 

Be aware 02214 is a special release with 2 full kits and special markings so it will probably be (1) hard to find and (2) expensive if you do find it. 

http://www.hasegawa-model.co.jp/product_g/02214/

https://www.scalemates.com/kits/1006053-hasegawa-02214-f-16d-block-52-advanced-fighting-falcon-tiger-meet

I just remembered Hasegawa did a Barak kit many years ago, IIRC the spine in this kit is resin.

https://www.scalemates.com/kits/158863-hasegawa-00174-f-16d-brakeet-idf

Also probably hard to find but at least you know what to look for. 

Edited by habu2
  • 4 years later...
  • 2 months later...