The Mighty Tomcat

I stumbled upon a very well done podcast focused exclusively on the F-14.   If you are interested in this aircraft, you definitely want to check this out.   It's hosted by a high time pilot and RIO and the guests are all subject matter experts.   You can find it at:

F-14 Tomcast on Apple Podcasts

One thing I found fascinating was the two episodes where they did deep dives into the F-14D, first with a pilot and then with a RIO.   I always sold the Tom short, but the D model seems to have been a beast.  The interesting part was that the best feature of the jet seemed to have been the IRST (or "Urst" as the crew referred to it).   According to them, it was a massive game changer.   They could detect targets radar silent at close to 200 miles and using a data link to another jet, they could triangulate to get a rough range estimate and take a no-radar Phoenix shots.   Makes me wonder why we never bothered to make the IRST a standard feature on all of our jets.    

The RIO interview is especially interesting for techno-nerds like me.  He goes way in depth on the various radar modes, intercept techniques, etc.    

Well worth checking out for all you F-14 fanbois!!!

Thanks for the link, I'll have to check it out.  And I have always wondered about IRST on US aircraft as well.  It seems like just about every other country put it on their fighters, and the F-14 had it (at least some models) and it seemed to work well, so I am surprised it's not more standard.  I figure there must be a reason, but the Block III Super Hornets are getting a centerline tank with IRST built in, so some value must be seen in it.

Maybe the US figure AWACS would handle things well enough?  I don't know...

2 hours ago, Ken Cartwright said:

Thanks for the link, I'll have to check it out.  And I have always wondered about IRST on US aircraft as well.  It seems like just about every other country put it on their fighters, and the F-14 had it (at least some models) and it seemed to work well, so I am surprised it's not more standard.  I figure there must be a reason, but the Block III Super Hornets are getting a centerline tank with IRST built in, so some value must be seen in it.

Maybe the US figure AWACS would handle things well enough?  I don't know...

It’s also getting mounted in a (Legion) pod on F-15C’s and I believe it was going to be integrated on the F-22 but it was abandoned to save $.   

I wonder how well the F-35 fairs in this area?   From what I have read, it’s FLIR system is closer to what you’d see in a targeting pod.   

I think the fact that our AWACS are now vulnerable and the bad guys are flying stealthy-ish jets might account for the recent push to field these.  

Super Hornets and F-15EX are both getting IRSTs ...

VFA-94 has already done Fleet Testing last year on deployment ...

Thanks for the link, 11bee ..!

-Gregg

Edited by GreyGhost