2 seat Mig-29 more than a trainer?

Hi all,

Honest question, not meant to incite any arguments re: current world events:

I have seen lots of pics of Mig-29UB's in discussions about potentially transferring planes to Ukraine. I thought these planes were pretty much trainers only without any real combat capability (yes, I read the ARC topic re: loadouts for Mig-29UB).

Question: do these planes have more of a combat role capability since their respective  countries joined NATO? Of course, the news discussions were probably referring to the single seater instead of the 2 seater, but I was curious.

Thanks.

To my knowledge, they would be hard pressed to be effective in a modern air defense environment.  They have no radar, and are limited to IR guided A-A missiles only, and rocket pods and dumb bombs.  They also aren’t fitted with the chaff/flare dispensers in front of the tails like the single seaters, and not sure they have any RWR or ECM gear.

They could be stock photos that different news sources are using; they won't know the difference between the two.

Though lets be honest, Poland's Fulcrums aren't exactly modern. I'd bet Romania's Lance-R's had better radars and cockpits than Poland's old Mig-29s. They're not going to make much difference in helping Ukraine have any semblance of air superiority. Unless Poland has been ordering stuff from Elbit's catalog and keeping it quiet...thats a good idea for a what-if build, if only GWH's Fulcrums weren't so hideously expensive.

I once (very long ago) was told the UB's are as capable as the A's, sans radar. I mean, they are "UB"s, not "U"'s.

Offtop - There was an article online regarding the upgraded Syrian MiG's that apparently got the R-77 capability. That'd be nice.