Revell EMAIL enamel paints

Anyone ever use them? I acquired a couple a few years back when I was doing the Revell Germany 1/144 Embraer 190 and needed that special Revell color. They seem to work quite well . The only problem is they come in tins like Humbrol. My Testors enamel all turned to a substance that resembles wallboard compound, so did my Humbrol enamels, no clue why. I refuse to use acrylics to brush paint, too set in my ways and at pushing 70 what they gonna do, more damage than Testors and Pactra haven't done? LOL! Made it this far, been using Testors and Pactra since 1963! Any ways the gent at my LHS said they have been around a while BUT were Germany's NOT Revell USA. He also said Tamiya makes enamel paints but NOT sold in USA, especially in California. Anyone else try these and have any goods or bads about them?

Revell EMAIL enamel paints.JPG

Edited by jonwinn

I found them thinner than Humbrol but not as thin as some of the Xtracolour enamels.

Colours were ok I guess, but thats going back 20-30 years ago.

They did some colours above Humbrol which was why I used them, but at the time I prefered Humbrol as Hannants Xtracolour was a mail order away (Internet wasnt even an idea back then).

Better suited to brush painting but only because of the almighty smell of the thinners required to thin them down. The pigment is strong enough and they react well to the common thinners these days (Humbrol, Abteilung etc), being enamel they settle well which helps with brush strokes but they are not immune.

Cant say I like them very much, I prefer Tamiya enamels (available in Japan and none nanny state countries like Poland in the EU) but they are quite useable over all.

Thanks, I do not air brush, rattle can, so I use them to do detail painting with a brush on cockpits and such. I never knew until last week that Tamiya made enamel paints, just those horrible acrylic ones that remind me of the water color painting I did in 1st grade,absolutely no solid or good brush coverage. I'll stick with Revell for now.

Yeah I use enamels for that too.

Tamiya enamels are pretty good, some nice colours in the range and good for detail work which is where the Tamiya acrylics fall flat on their butt because they dry to quickly and dont work well without thinning down for an airbrush.

I have a number of Revell 'enamels', some were in with a few kits bought off of eBay, and the rest were included in a couple of 'job lots' of paints also acquired via eBay.

I'm strictly a brush painter, and really don't get on with them at all. The main problem I've encountered is that they dry almost instantly when used straight from the tins - including on the brush during application. Consequently, about the only time I use them is when I need a 'solid' colour somewhere where the final suface finish isn't important - such as inside fuselages, etc. - meaning I can 'load' a brush with enough paint to cover the area before the stuff starts drying and dragging...

Edited by andyf117

I like the way they brush. I have not tried to airbrush this paint. At this point I only use enamels to brush paint details i can not mask and airbrush, and in this application the Revel Email serves me well. It covers with one coat without a lot of brush marks The tins are somewhat inconvenient, but  there are those who argue it seals better a screw lid. 🤷🏼‍♂️