How To Remove Chrome From Plastic?

Hi Guys,

How does one safely remove the "chrome" from kit parts without damaging them? You can't paint over it to my knowledge, so that means that it has to be removed. I have heard that some people spray the parts with Easyoff oven cleaner, and that it will take the chrome off leaving only the bare plastic. Correct? Are there any other ways of safely removing this stuff, short of sanding?

Thanks guys,

Don :lol:

Easy off does work, but it is caustic and fumes very badly. I've used household bleach, but it takes awhile to de-chrome(in some cases it won't make a dent as is the case with RoG chrome parts).

Liquid Plumber also removes chrome without damaging the parts, but you'll have to scuff the plastic as the clear coat below the chrome will prevent good paint adhesion.

Another option (though I have not used it) is regular fingernail polish remover (not the really harsh stuff, it will damage the parts).

HTH,

As Alby mentioned above;

Fingernail Polish Remover (the kind without acetone); soak the parts in a bath of this sutff for about 12 to 24 hours, then use a toothbrush to remove whatever bits haven't sloughed off in the bath.

Terpentine (or something like PollyS Easy Lift-Off Remover) may work well too, but you must take care not to let the parts soak too long, as these can soften the plastic somewhat.

:lol:

Old Blind Dog

Castrol Super Clean (the one in the purple bottle) you can get it at auto parts stores. Just drop your chomed part in and walk away for a few minutes, then fish it out and scrub off the chrome and wash the part well with soap and water.

CSC will not harm plastic, I have left a model soaking for a month, (I sorta forgot about it) the paint was gone and the plastic was fine.

And wear gloves, CSC is a degreaser and will disolve the top layer of skin (trust me I learned the hard way :P ).

HTH

-Chris