F-16 from Minibase

On 5/13/2023 at 12:09 AM, Buckmeister said:

I’m confused. Aren’t Minibase kits injection molded?  What we’re seeing here is 3D printed.  Are these just mockups off the CAD for an injection molded kit?

Hi B,

Somewhere I've seen a picture of the forward upper fuselage half of the Minibase F-16B kit, and I swear this piece was 3D-printed. Perhaps it's these pictures which Solo has posted and can't be seen, or could it be that are those posted on Britmodeller? Yep!

aa3002c451da81cbc2d902011766d0160824319a

Edited by Gwen Phoenix
Add one picture
3 hours ago, Gwen Phoenix said:

Hi B,

Somewhere I've seen a picture of the forward upper fuselage half of the Minibase F-16B kit, and I swear this piece was 3D-printed. Perhaps it's these pictures which Solo has posted and can't be seen, or could it be that are those posted on Britmodeller? Yep!

aa3002c451da81cbc2d902011766d0160824319a

While those definitely appear 3D printed, I think they are a pre “test shot”. If all seems reasonable with the 3D printed parts, they’ll move in to cutting the molds. 

Thanks all,

Still wondering how far along they are with this kit and when projected release will be.

Smart to test basic fit using 3D printed parts first. There has been speculation that 3D printing based on the CAD design accommodates more detail than in the (plastic) injected parts so that potentially the actual kit will be less detailed. 

Not sure if that is true or a rumour.

Marc.