111 Attack Squadron, MQ-9 Reaper

Started gluing the engine on.  It doesn't sit flush with the fuselage so I glued the front part and will use CA to force the back end and fuselage together.

2023-12-10_12-39-36

The model is still a little nose heavy, I assume that will change when I add the tail and stabilizers, so weight will be added to the sensor ball.

• 2 weeks later...

Little more work. I used CA to pull the engine mount rear fuselage together, and added the tails.

The tails fit in good, with minimal putty.  I'm sanding them down today.

2023-12-23_10-17-05

It's become tail heavy, (expected) and I have some liquid gravity coming in.  There is an opening (for now) in the nose that I will put the liquid gravity in, and I will also add weight to the under fuselage ball sensor.

I'll also add all the antennas, and other external fuselage parts this week.

• 2 weeks later...

One of the tail seams is being difficult, adding more putty tonight, maybe 3rd time will be a charm.

I can't put all the small pieces on until I finish  getting the seams smoothed down.  😞

Finished sanding, and put the antennas on.

2024-01-08_10-01-59

I assembled the weapons pylons.  They all had a gap on the rear, but minimal putty and that problem went away.

2024-01-08_10-01-24

• 2 weeks later...

Had a problem with the clear coat.  Tamiya clear over Tamiya Light Ghost Grey.  Waited two days from painting to spraying the clear coat on.

You can see the two blotchy areas on the tail plane, like it dissolved the paint leaving the primer.

Can someone explain what happened?

The only thing I can come up with is the can was sitting next to a window, and was cold.  I put it in warm water to heat the can up.

2024-01-17_08-11-05

• 2 weeks later...

This looks like orange peel of the clearcoat not the undercoat of paint its caused by incorrect leveling or stretching of the clear coat. You will have to sand it smooth then reapply the clear coat. Be mindful of your room temperature and product temperature. I would warm the clearcoat in warm not hot water before using it and try a test piece before committing.

• 2 weeks later...
On 1/28/2024 at 1:32 AM, Night Owl Models said:

This looks like orange peel of the clearcoat not the undercoat of paint its caused by incorrect leveling or stretching of the clear coat. You will have to sand it smooth then reapply the clear coat. Be mindful of your room temperature and product temperature. I would warm the clearcoat in warm not hot water before using it and try a test piece before committing.

Sanded it down, primer, grey and clear went on good the 2nd time.

Started putting decals on, not going to get much bench time this week, so getting the decals on will be a major win.

Some of the Reapers have winglet communications antennas, does anyone have a good drawing/photo so I can add these?

Model Fiesta weekend will keep me away from the bench, but most of the decals are on and I will gloss coat tomorrow before leaving the house.

2024-02-07_11-05-40

The very last decals rolled on itself as I was applying it.  Hopefully I still have the sheet from the first model, otherwise I'll :cut and paste" the 174 ATKWG into a 147 ATKWG.  Extra work, but doable.

Edited by Da SWO

Use decal softener even if you think you don't need it should solve the curling, just let it sit then work the decal with a brush. Go over all decals before your clear coat it will push the decals into any seams and give you a more realistic finish.

2 hours ago, Night Owl Models said:

Use decal softener even if you think you don't need it should solve the curling, just let it sit then work the decal with a brush. Go over all decals before your clear coat it will push the decals into any seams and give you a more realistic finish.

I use the microscale sol/set, it went into the sol and just "jumped" from the tweezers to my thumb.

Static electricity?  IDK, it was weird.

Found my spare sheet, so I'll fix it on Sunday.  Packing for Model Fiesta between chores today.

• 2 weeks later...

Decals are on, clear and dull coat are on.

2024-02-16_10-46-27

Working on(painting) the landing weapons pylons and hell fire missiles.

The Hamilton Hobbies prop hub is going to need some work, and I have to decide how to mount the prop assembly to the fuselage.

I'll post another in a bit.

This is the prop hub.

This was one of the last two he had, so I am glad to have gotten it, but it's rough.

2024-02-16_12-15-14

I cut it off the base, and assume the stem needs to be remove too.

The bottom is not level, and there bubbles in the resin.

2024-02-16_12-12-33

Suggestions for mounting it?

Cut the stem and glue to the fuselage (props won't be able to rotate).

Cut the stem and out a rod in, then use the kits mounting hole.

Thoughts?

• 2 weeks later...

I was worried that the resin prop/hub combo would make it a tail dragger, so I drill a hole where the sensor ball will go.  I weighed the prop hub and glued 3x the weight in bb's into the nose. 

2024-02-26_01-08-49

Cut the stem off, and drilled the prop hub out so it would take a metal rod.

2024-02-26_01-10-06

Looks decent (depending on orientation), I may just glue it in-place. 

2024-02-26_01-11-10

Posted (edited)

In the ironic LOL category.  The holes in the prop hub are too small, so I had to drill them out.

Hellfire missiles are getting painted.  I really want this finished by Thursday evening.

2024-03-03_07-40-41

Edited by Da SWO

Sensor ball and external tank are on.

2 of 4 props are on.

2024-03-04_11-15-24

I need a little touch up on the wingtip, and around one of the satcom antennas.

• 1 month later...

98% done.

I just need to fabricate and attach the winglets.  I think I finally found a good photo and will finish this after a couple of road trips this week and next.

2024-04-10_11-46-43

2024-04-10_11-49-01

2024-04-10_11-47-54

Bravo Brett!  Way to tackle and work through the difficulties on this kit.  The results are very nice indeed!   Seems counter-intuitive to place high-viz markings on a drone, but I do like that Texas splash on the tail!   Hmm, not sure I want the ANG flying around with live Hellfires, but this is Texas, so maybe okay!  We'll say it's open carry and call it a border guard mission! K/r, Dutch

Edited by Dutch