111 Attack Squadron, MQ-9 Reaper

In a bit of a funk with my older kits Poor fit and a lot of sanding.  Friend said the kinetic kit was an easy build, I won one at a raffle and decided to build it.  Because I suffer (like many in this hobby) from a level of OCD,  I bought the BAM landing gear bay update and managed to score a Hamilton Hobbies MQ-9B Sea Guardian upgrade set (only plan on using the props/hub.).

Started by putting the BAM vinyl tape masks on.  I had a minor problem getting them off (the backing paper was stuck to the mask).  Got them off and applied.  The masks are much nicer then the masking tape masks I have used in the past, flexible enough to go on with minimal fuss, and sticky enough so I could reposition one I misapplied.  @arnobiz has a nice product. 

2023-06-18_01-42-07

I also washed, dried, primed the main gear bay.  Will paint it in a day or so.  Same goes for cutting the gear wells out.

I was concerned about the strength of the plastic, so I went a little out of sequence with the BAM Instructions.

I removed the stiffening ribs first.

Then I drilled the holes using the guides, I need to smooth the edges tomorrow.

2023-06-20_09-13-41

Then I cut and filed to get the basic shape.  I will sand it tomorrow.

2023-06-20_09-51-21

I dry fitted the two fuselage sections, the BAM gear bay is slightly too wide, I'll have to sand the edges tomorrow so the top and bottom halves set together.  Very small error, a mm or two. There are also two pin holes that are not longer needed because I cut material away.  Those will get filed away once I start on the upper fuselage.

The BAM instructions say use a dark grey for the bay color, I will use a spare can of Gunship Grey as my dark grey.

Great job! It is definitely safer to cut the plastic and fit the bay as soon as possible to protect the long edges 🙂

I'm surprised the bay is too wide, if you remove the kit pins it should fit without problem (it did on mine and I tested numerous prints).

Arnaud

9 hours ago, arnobiz said:

Great job! It is definitely safer to cut the plastic and fit the bay as soon as possible to protect the long edges 🙂

I'm surprised the bay is too wide, if you remove the kit pins it should fit without problem (it did on mine and I tested numerous prints).

Arnaud

I'll try that later tonight.

17 hours ago, arnobiz said:

Arnaud

No joy.

Here is a photo of a dry fit minus the bay:

2023-06-21_01-16-25

and a dry fit with the bay:

2023-06-21_01-19-53

I removed the last two pins and locator holes like you suggested.  I'll play with it some more tomorrow.

9 hours ago, arnobiz said:

That's annoying, here are pictures of mine, maybe it helps see where I cleaned up the plastic parts to obtain a good fit:

52992755274_88a4dbbf11_b.jpg

Dry fit with no tape or anything:

52992615326_e31fd6d717_b.jpg

I'll clean mine up some more.  You have more stuff removed than I do.  Will post an update tonight or tomorrow. 

OK

It fits in the bottom section with no problem.  Putting the top section on is when I am get a fit issue.  From the trailing edge of the wing area the edges of the fuselage top is hitting the bay insert.

I'll try to post a picture later tonight or tomorrow night.

Would you be so kind (if you can) and post a photo of the inside of your top part.  The fuselage walls on my top part are thicker then the walls on my bottom fuselage, I am wondering if that may be the issue.

Very strange indeed. The first picture I shared shows the top and bottom parts. The only thing I remember to have removed on the top part is the locating pins: they are clearly in the way and if you did not remove them that's the solution.

Finally got it in and painted, starting the wings tonight.

FWIW- My friend is building another Reaper, we compared kits; mine isn't as sharp as his, so I suspect my issue with the main gear bay is a kit issue.

The BAM on-line instructions show the wing mounting pins left alone.  The photo Arnobiz posted had one removed.  Leave them.  The bay fit over it fine and I shouldn't have removed it as it will stabilize the wings.

2023-06-26_11-10-49

I glued the wings halves together, the mounting hole on one side is too small and will have to be drilled out, my friends went together without drilling.

• 4 weeks later...

My bottom fuselage is wavy, so I am adding that to the mix (the model was "free" for a reason).

Wings are on, fuselage glued together.

Putty applied at the wing roots.

2023-07-20_06-39-05

• 4 weeks later...

I gave up on this. The lower  fuselage half is just too warped to be salvageable.  I picked a new MQ-9 at Nationals and ordered a new gear bay from BAM, and am just waiting on it's arrival. 

Edited by Da SWO
spelling
  • 2 months later...
  • 3 weeks later...
On 10/26/2023 at 10:14 AM, longmc said:

I can't find any information on what actually comes in the Hamilton Hobbies MQ-9B Sea Guardian upgrade set. I'm interested in what all it includes. Do you have any pictures?

thanks,
Mike

I'll take some when I open the box.

4-bladed prop.

Winglets (like on commercial airliners)

New nose section.

Taller landing gear

2 sensor pods

Sea Scanner RADAR and pylon.

I'll use the props/hub and haven't decided what other parts I will use.

I've worked on her as my schedule allows.

Got to the same point in assembly as the last one, though the fuselage halves actually fit pretty well this time.  A little squeezing and some CA on the rear/upper half.

There is a bit of a gap on the lower wing/fuselage junction, otherwise a good fit,

BAM MQ9-10

Still debating what I will put on the pylons, hellfires on the outer pylons for sure. Inner pylons, not so sure.

1 hour ago, arnobiz said:

Cool! Does the Hamilton Hobbies set include the new landing gear? Just out of curiosity 😎

Yes, the mains are taller, this compensates for the extra height of the Sea Scan RADAR.

• 2 weeks later...

Assembled the engine, not a great fit as there is a ridge along the top.  Putty and sanding went quick.

2023-12-03_11-09-07

2023-12-03_11-09-56

I need to smooth the intake out, and add a splitter vane to the intake.

2023-12-03_01-26-00

There is a cooling vent on top that I have to level out (any suggestions?)

2023-12-03_01-26-33

Almost finished with putty on the fuselage.  I had to re-putty a couple of spots.  The splitter vane is tilted a little, but I will probably leave it. 

2023-12-08_02-13-52

Sand the last putty spots tomorrow, then add the engine assembly.