GBU 38s on outer most pylon of F-18E

Is the GBU 38 capable of being put on the outermost pylon on a F-18E super hornet? Not the wingtip pylons. Not sure if that pylon is smart weapon capable. I know a GBU 12 can be put there, not sure about a GBU 38 though

Thanks

Jeff

Not sure the time-frame of the pic but the load-out was authorized to the fleet in July of 2012.

Also, keep in mind that JDAM/LJDAM on station 2 and 10 depend on the lot number and time-frame, not all SH are cleared for JDAM/LJDAM on the outboard stations.

Edited by GW8345
12 hours ago, okthree said:

That’s quite the bomb load. Solo do you know the time frame of that picture?

MEDITERRANEAN SEA (June 18, 2017) Sailors load GBU-32 1,000-pound bombs onto an F/A-18E Super Hornet assigned to the "Golden Warriors" of Strike Fighter Squadron (VFA) 87 aboard the aircraft carrier USS George H.W. Bush (CVN 77). The ship and its carrier strike group are conducting naval operations in the U.S. 6th Fleet area of operations in support of U.S. national security interests in Europe and Africa. (U.S. Navy photo by Mass Communication

On 7/22/2023 at 7:55 AM, WKL said:

MEDITERRANEAN SEA (June 18, 2017) Sailors load GBU-32 1,000-pound bombs onto an F/A-18E Super Hornet assigned to the "Golden Warriors" of Strike Fighter Squadron (VFA) 87 aboard the aircraft carrier USS George H.W. Bush (CVN 77). The ship and its carrier strike group are conducting naval operations in the U.S. 6th Fleet area of operations in support of U.S. national security interests in Europe and Africa. (U.S. Navy photo by Mass Communication

Thanks

On 7/21/2023 at 10:17 AM, Solo said:

What about that?
Sailors_load_GBU-32_1%2C000-pound_bombs_onto_an_F-A-18E_Super_Hornet_aboard_USS_George_H.W._Bush._%2834603564384%29.jpg

what kind of nose plugs are those? Only ever notice them on Navy and Marine Corp aircraft? Just like a general purpose cap? They don't use the hardened steel cones any more?

The nose plugs are called MXU-735 Steel Nose Plugs (SNP) and to my knowledge I don't think the USAF uses them (they use a short pointy nose plug that is not authorized for USN/USMC). The MXU-735 comes in two color, olive drab or light ghost grey and are used on Mk 80/BLU-11x (110/111/117) series GP and JDAM bombs.

56 minutes ago, GW8345 said:

The nose plugs are called MXU-735 Steel Nose Plugs (SNP) and to my knowledge I don't think the USAF uses them (they use a short pointy nose plug that is not authorized for USN/USMC). The MXU-735 comes in two color, olive drab or light ghost grey and are used on Mk 80/BLU-11x (110/111/117) series GP and JDAM bombs.

They look almost plastic. Thanks for the info

Jeff