kind of rubber silicone molds

There are different kinds, but the platinum one makes molds that are both more flexible and tougher. Usually the ones you find in art stores (like the Smooth-On brand, which works well for me) are kind of thick. It will still work - just paint the part with the mold material with a disposable paintbrush or q-tip before you pour in the mold material into the container.

For a beginner, here is the basic set up for a single-piece mold:

basic.png.5eb1aac36ff5377ae3037a068a24c0b9.png

You want a container big enough to surround and submerge the part but no bigger so you don't waste casting material. If it has a bowl shape it's much easier to get the mold out. I usually use yogurt containers. You then glue your part to a spacer (which becomes both the pour hole in the mold and the part you saw at to free your cast part). Then you glue the spacer to a card. Do not make the card the same size as the bottom of the container - it should be a bit smaller. That creates a bowl in the mold so you don't spill the casting material when you are making your part.

A figure is going to be difficult to do in a single piece mold, with legs and arms going in multiple directions, unless it is all separate parts still on the sprue.  I guess you can put the spacer on its back. A two part mold may be required, but that is a lot more involved. There are lots of good tutorials on how to do that - I recommend the ones on Adam Savage's "Tested" YouTube channel. I strongly recommend doing single-piece molds first.

Edited by spejic