ARMA HOBBY HURRICANE MK. IIc 1/48

It's a very nice kit, a pointer or two, if I may, not sure what Arma Hobby are trying to depict with part B27, there should be no bulge towards the front of this part. It should be a straight transition from the rear of the wing. Should be more like part A65.

It does go together ok, but it does have some tight tolerances, hence make sure no paint, seams or nubs etc, are on joining surfaces, dry fit twice & glue once. Read & re-read instructions esp errata sheet, which you should have in the box. Decals may need slightly longer soaking time than normal to ensure they release from the paper. 

Anything else, ask away & I'll try to answer.

------------

Greetings,

I have done research online and the feed backs are very positive. This company starts to look like EU Tamiya. But I see 2 things I do not like. First is the use of comical decal seat belts. Although acceptable in 1/72 , in this scale is rather not up to today's standard. I am sure serious modelers will ditch this at once. The second is the anti glare panels. The fuse does not have any attaching points so the modelers have to check the reference. Dai 

27 minutes ago, barkin mad said:

It's a very nice kit, a pointer or two, if I may, not sure what Arma Hobby are trying to depict with part B27, there should be no bulge towards the front of this part. It should be a straight transition from the rear of the wing. Should be more like part A65.

It does go together ok, but it does have some tight tolerances, hence make sure no paint, seams or nubs etc, are on joining surfaces, dry fit twice & glue once. Read & re-read instructions esp errata sheet, which you should have in the box. Decals may need slightly longer soaking time than normal to ensure they release from the paper. 

------------

Thank you so much now that I have Experten to bail me out! Dai 

Hello all,

The building has started. The surface detail is among the best I have ever seen. However there is excessive sprue gates on each part (one small part has 7) that requires tedious clean up. Maybe this is the way to get complete casting? Dai 

3E688896-4674-4D25-B32A-0C0920378662.jpeg

Greetings all,

The fit is average on the wings due to high numbers of sprue gates on the mating surfaces that must be clean up. The leading edge lights need some sanding in order for the wings to mate with minimal gaps. The instructions leave you guessing on where some parts go like the control stick. I can see unexperienced modelers can get into trouble like the orientation of the wing lights (see the addendum sheet on this to get the best wing fit). Some do not have positive locking mechanism so guess work / online reference is needed. This area is where Tamiya shines while others fall short. Dai 

375135946_6553517274738507_6176102548601151124_n.jpg

Edited by dai phan

Hello all,

I often use visual cues of the part details on the illustration to orient the part's placement. The illustrations on the instruction sometimes do not have the part details drawn in so I ended up placing a bulkhead reverse. Luckily my mistake did not affect the overall fit of the cockpit tube. I normally paint the parts before they are cemented. However this is a truss assembly with multiple pieces so to ensure best adhesion of the parts I cemented all then carefully paint the details. Dai 

Hi all,

If I may make a suggestion for Arma Hobby. I do not know the real reason but I believe they can decrease the numbers of sprue gates to each part to say 2 or three. There is no need to have 7 connecting sprues to a small part. Also limit the gates to the leading edge of the parts rather onto the mating surfaces. Dai 

4 minutes ago, barkin mad said:

Progressing well, fine looking so far. The end result will be more than worth it.

----------

Thank you. Other than some questionable positioning of the parts, things are moving quickly. Expected to start painting the main frame this weekend. Dai 

Greetings,

Continue on. The horizontal tab has the zig saw details that I must sand off in order for the elevator to sit flush with the horizontal stab. Am I doing something wrong? I thought 6 piece tail assembly is way over engineered that causes unneeded clean up of seams. The vertical tail can be molded into the fuse that saves lots of time cleaning up joints. Dai 

376617960_6560957050661196_3800522523558206871_n.jpg

Edited by dai phan
On 8/29/2023 at 10:54 AM, barkin mad said:

------------

Did you have to sand off the saw tooth details on the horizontal stabs so the elevator can fit in? A builder on YT had to do the same thing. I cannot tell if this is on the actual plane or not. The image is of Brett Green on HS. Dai 

18_fs.jpg

Edited by dai phan

Apologies for not responding sooner. I would just get rid, I don't think it adds anything, nor can it really be seen if your control surfaces are in the neutral position.

I don't think there is much there on the real thing, possibly rivets? that said there is a sizeable gap between the tail plane and elevators..........

116.thumb.jpg.8df98ad0351653c3d2dd83bf897147ee.jpg

13 minutes ago, barkin mad said:

Apologies for not responding sooner. I would just get rid, I don't think it adds anything, nor can it really be seen if your control surfaces are in the neutral position.

I don't think there is much there on the real thing, possibly rivets? that said there is a sizeable gap between the tail plane and elevators..........

116.thumb.jpg.8df98ad0351653c3d2dd83bf897147ee.jpg

Yes I got rid of it as that detail will prevent the elevator to sit flush with the stab. There is no such thing on the real thing so what the heck AH is trying to duplicate I have no idea. Dai 

Edited by dai phan

Greetings Sunday everyone,

Primed, correction of seams and now for the main coat. I have to use some minor CA on some seams. Resin drop tanks will be of a great welcome as there is no way to clean the seams on the straps without losing details. Also need NOT to remove the drop tank mounting tabs as these will be hidden under the tanks. Dai 

377465392_6569634609793440_8410647129195322532_n.jpg

Edited by dai phan

Greetings all,

Painted the main frame with Tamiya flat black paint XF-1. The paint is extremely fragile and even with my gloved hands I still manage to put in dings and scratches in handling the model. DO NOT use sand paper to smooth these out as you will lose the details. This model has the most finely minute details that you have to inspect under the light to see. I use 1000 grit sponge and still manage to knock some off trying to feather the dings like the subtle ribs details. To be safe use 1000 grit when you do any kind of work on the model surface. Next time I will use Mr Color as in my hands, the paint is more robust than Tamiya's. Dai 

374141338_6575210725902495_7304715867513430068_n.jpg

374184306_6575210679235833_1574150381680396482_n.jpg

Edited by dai phan

There's something sinister about a Hurricane in night fighter camouflage.

9 hours ago, dai phan said:

The paint is extremely fragile and even with my gloved hands 

Just like the real thing then!!! the real paint was supposedly hard to apply correctly, & didn't keep/weather very well with stories of fitters/mechanics getting it on hands & clothes etc, just another reason why they switched to Smooth Night mid-war, which was much glossier and kept far better. For your final finish you want a dead flat coat as Special Night was.

BTW, I think that the shroud over the inst. panel was int. grey/green, and the canopy interior frame was silver/aluminium..........

Pic of a Hurricane in a Finnish museum, untouched since 1943

--------------

IMG_6618.JPG

Edited by barkin mad
4 hours ago, barkin mad said:

There's something sinister about a Hurricane in night fighter camouflage.

Just like the real thing then!!! the real paint was supposedly hard to apply correctly, & didn't keep/weather very well with stories of fitters/mechanics getting it on hands & clothes etc, just another reason why they switched to Smooth Night mid-war, which was much glossier and kept far better. For your final finish you want a dead flat coat as Special Night was.

BTW, I think that the shroud over the inst. panel was int. grey/green, and the canopy interior frame was silver/aluminium..........

Pic of a Hurricane in a Finnish museum, untouched since 1943

--------------

IMG_6618.JPG

I do not realize how fragile the black paint is. In fact it looks real with all the scratches from my handling and of course if the area has base plastic shows through then I have to feather the area out then spot paint. I must be extremely careful not to knock any fine details off since they are very fine and minute. Even with 1000 grit sponge, I still manage to lose some fine details. The best I have seen in any scale. Dai 

Hi all,

Almost for the clear coat and decaling. As I start doing research into this project, I discover some inaccuracies with this kit. The glaring example is the main landing gear doors. The leading and trailing edges should be thin at the edges with the step but on the kit, they are all uniform in thickness and thick. I am sure after market correction set is on the way. Dai 

B285E2FD-9939-4744-917C-B38262A64FB0.jpeg

Edited by dai phan

Regarding the main gear doors, see how thin the leading edge is with a step inside? On the kit the thickness is all uniform and thick. I discover this error when I was trying to find out what the color of the leading edge is (black or silver?). Dai 

Hurricane_wheel.jpg

hurricane_iia_29_of_31.jpg

Edited by dai phan