I don't mind saying that this stage was always the most dreadful to me. 

The new varnish I used is drying very tacky. I used some flo-extender, from the same manufacturer and this is more than likely the reason why. I used a clean airbrush, large 05 needle and it went on way too thick, and spit... That why I added the flo-extender.. Its been about 40 hrs now and still tacky, but, it is drying. One issue is that in a area or two it did not level and clumped. How is this removed? Im hoping I didn't ruin this and need to use this as a paint mule after hours spent working on the cockpit, panel line shading etc... Again, I despise varnishing as I believe it just adds more layers in the panel lines, details etc... 

Its VMS Gloss Varnish.. Acrylic. Supposed to be good stuff. Its solid, I will say that just need time to get used to it. 

That said, will this dry eventually? lol... How do I go about removing small clumps that did not settle? 

Thanks fellas. -Ed 

I’ll respond, you are using a product of which I’m totally unaware and I suspect this might be true for other readers as well. Over the years I’ve used Micro gloss and flat, dullcoat, Future, tried Vallejo flat once and threw it away, Gunze glosses, now mostly just Tamiya clear gloss (X-22) and clear flat (XF-86)

8 hours ago, Chuck1945 said:

I’ll respond, you are using a product of which I’m totally unaware and I suspect this might be true for other readers as well. Over the years I’ve used Micro gloss and flat, dullcoat, Future, tried Vallejo flat once and threw it away, Gunze glosses, now mostly just Tamiya clear gloss (X-22) and clear flat (XF-86)

Thank you Chuck.. What piqued my interest in this particular varnish, was that it did not need to be thinned. Shake the plastic bottle and fill the airbrush. The varnish gets good reviews, but what I did was apply too thick of a coat. I am not crazy about how it layed down. What I also did, was let the model rest inside my airbrush booth, with a plastic cover on the front opening to prevent dust/dog hair etc... After several days, I'm moving it to an area where there is some airflow and warmth so that it may harden more. 

At the end of the day, I think it will be ok but... Next time it's lacquer for me. 

How do you mix the Tamiya X-22 and XF-86? I may have to give that a crack on my next build. You really can't go wrong with Tamiya.. And why did you toss the Vallejo? Just curious as I have no experience with it but considered it an option. 

Many thanks for the response! -Ed 

My go to clear spray is Alclad II - Aqua Gloss Clear. This is their acrylic end of Alclad II. You use it right out of the bottle. The secret is many light coats to get the sheen you are looking for. Just like your problem encountered, It will pool and sag if applied to heavily. This product is pretty popular so you should be able to find it easily. Even at Amazon.

I had heard good things about Vallejo flat so gave it a try, it went on glossy and dried glossy. No clue if operator error or mis-labeled but since I had other choices that knew worked, out it went.

I originally used Tamiya’s X-20A thinner with their gloss and flat. While it worked fine, I’m using Gunze and Tamiya acrylic lacquers for most of my painting thinned with Mr Color Leveling Thinner so am mostly using that for Tamiya X and XF series paints as well.

On 9/27/2023 at 3:36 AM, Ed DeVivo said:

One issue is that in a area or two it did not level and clumped. How is this removed?

I would try slowly rubbing it with a q-tip dipped in isopropy alcohol. It should eventually work, but it might take a while. Be patient. It might look a little cloudy at the end, but if it isn't a clear part it should go away next time it is sprayed with a clear coat (gloss or flat).

7 hours ago, spejic said:

I would try slowly rubbing it with a q-tip dipped in isopropy alcohol. It should eventually work, but it might take a while. Be patient. It might look a little cloudy at the end, but if it isn't a clear part it should go away next time it is sprayed with a clear coat (gloss or flat).

Thanks for the suggestion but.. 

I ended up stripping all the varnish and paint right down to the bare plastic. Even after a week, the varnish never properly cured. It was soft and sticky to the touch and easily left fingerprints. I dabbed an area with decal setting solution which ruined the varnish so I stropped it all,and will repaint! This time, however, I will use a lacquer gloss varnish if at all. Its a shame, because the paint went on smooth as silk, and decals would have layed nice. If I get the same result, I'll decal, then shoot a gloss to seal them.. 

I'm sorry. It worked for me the few times I needed it, but that was for small spots where I guess it's a lot easier to temper how much you rub. It might depend on the brand of the underlying paint as well.