Any 1/48 F-4S slatted wing conversion set from GT Resin?

Hi there, Gary

I'm after the conversion of a 1/48 Monogram F-4J kit to an QF-4S standard and, by searching the Interwebz, I just came across two options which, after the OOP Steel Beach one, yours seems to be the most possible to come by, if only it were not the 1/32nd scale example I saw.

I don't care much what the kit brand the conversion is meant for; just want to graft it onto the Monogram kit if available in 1/48th scale.

Or, if there was any other option available for the conversion, will you please point me in the right direction?

Cheers,

Gwen 

Can not answer for 1/48. But I used the 1/32 and found it quite nice. One thing I have done often is swapping out my wings between Hasegawa kits. Sadly this too will not help as you are asking about Monogram.

wLSNiEA.jpg

20 hours ago, phantom said:

One thing I have done often is swapping out my wings between Hasegawa kits. Sadly this too will not help as you are asking about Monogram.

Hi phantom,

Thanks for your reply. I'm afraid 1/32 is too big for the space I've got left. Besides, all of my builds are in 1/48.

One thing you could help me with would be to order a sprue M for the Hasegawa 1/48 F-4S kit #09807. I tried ordering from Buenos Aires, and was told that they won't ship to South America. I might as well wire you the necessary quid in advance through PayPal if you'd do me such a big favour.

Just a thought; no strings attached.

Cheers,

Gwen 

• 2 weeks later...
  • 3 months later...

Hi Kurt,

Almost four months have gone by now and you well can see that Gary didn't even bother to reply back.

Never mind; by asking for help with this I've met a friend who've offered to assist me with this issue.

On 11/24/2023 at 5:47 PM, Kurt H. said:

Good luck.. I understand the problem, it took me a while to find an F-4S. 

What about this F-4E late set by Hypersonic Models? Do you think it would help?

s-l960.jpeg

Cheers,

Gwendoline

Hi @Gwen Phoenix,

I’m currently using the Hypersonic conversion with the Z-M F-4E it was intended for, but I don’t see any reason why it couldn’t be adapted to work on a Monogram or Hasegawa F-4J. Note that the slats on the F-4S have a different profile than the F-4E/F/G. Here’s a quick summary of the differences: Link

It’s not too difficult to modify the Air Force slats to look like Navy ones. I once corrected the Hasegawa F-4S slats with a little styrene and Milliput. I think if you can handle adapting the Hypersonic conversion to fit your base kit, you’ll be able to fix the slats. I’d remove the inboard slat’s actuator fairings from the resin leading edge part and glue them to your kit wing. You’ll also need to extend the wing fence farther aft. 

The F-4S had the wing reinforcement strap, so Hypersonic has you covered there.

If you need any photos of the slats and wing fence, PM me and I’ll send them to you. 

HTH.

Ben

Edited by Ben Brown
8 hours ago, Gwen Phoenix said:

Hi Kurt,

Almost four months have gone by now and you well can see that Gary didn't even bother to reply back.

Never mind; by asking for help with this I've met a friend who've offered to assist me with this issue.

What about this F-4E late set by Hypersonic Models? Do you think it would help?

s-l960.jpeg

Cheers,

Gwendoline

Ben Brown has you covered, he is an acknowledged authority on the Phantom.  Depending on how accurate you want your model to be, ResKit has released a Navy phantom pylon set:  https://reskit-models.com/index.php?route=product/product&product_id=5890   and https://reskit-models.com/index.php?route=product/product&product_id=6023  

I am trying to finish my F-4S project after many setbacks and I ordered those pylons but have not yet received them. 

Posted (edited)
23 hours ago, Ben Brown said:

I’d remove the inboard slat’s actuator fairings from the resin leading edge part and glue them to your kit wing. You’ll also need to extend the wing fence farther aft. 

Hi Ben,

Quite an informative post, thank you very much!

Yes, it makes a lot more sense trying to adapt just the inboard slat actuator fairings to the Monogram kit wing than to try to graft the whole resin leading edge piece by Hypersonic Models onto the plastic kit wing, especially when the HM set was devised for the Zoukei-Mura kits. I'm still green on surgery cuts.

Highly appreciate your posting the pictures of the outer wing slat profile and fence and Tommy's blog reference.

23 hours ago, Ben Brown said:

I’ll upload & post a pic of the wing fence next time I’m at my computer.

Okay, Ben. Don't rush it, since I've still got to order the HM set.

16 hours ago, Kurt H. said:

Depending on how accurate you want your model to be, ResKit has released a Navy phantom pylon set:  https://reskit-models.com/index.php?route=product/product&product_id=5890   and https://reskit-models.com/index.php?route=product/product&product_id=6023  

I am trying to finish my F-4S project after many setbacks and I ordered those pylons but have not yet received them. 

Hi Kurt,

Those pylons by ResKit certainly look nice! Unfortunately, I don't think I could afford them. Then again, the aircraft I want to build seems not to have any pylons on it. It's been a while since I've seen this picture of a QF-4S build posted by Ben Schumacher I don't know where, and I've been itching to build it myself. The clean configuration and those markings makes it irresistible. Even sexy! (no parachute pack on the rear bang seat).

aBJbR9T.jpeg 

Hope that you finish your F-4S build, as the ResKit pylons will reach you soon.

Cheers,

Gwendoline

Edited by Gwen Phoenix

Hi @Gwen Phoenix, here’s the wing fence. I just realized that I’d forgotten to point out the antenna fairings on the intakes (which I’m sure you’re already aware of!😀) and some antenna bulges on the underside near the main gear wells. I don’t think they’re included on the Monogram F-4J kit. I’ll post pics of those tomorrow, if you’re interested.

hysDFYY.jpg

Cheers!

Ben

21 hours ago, Ben Brown said:

and some antenna bulges on the underside near the main gear wells. I don’t think they’re included on the Monogram F-4J kit. 

Cheers Ben,

Might those antenna bulges on the underside near the main gear wells you're talking about be included on the Steel Beach 1/48 F-4J Upgrade set by our good mate Darren? Because I know I've seen it somewhere in my husband's stash. :naughty: I'm going to beg, steal or borrow it.   

Hi @Gwen Phoenix,

I’m not familiar with the Steel Beach set, but yes, they’re the sort of rounded, boxy fairings. IIRC, there are two up under the intakes and two more back near the main gear wells. I can dig up my photos of them if you’d like to have them.

If you “borrow” your husband’s F-4J upgrade set and he comes looking it, we’ll all claim we know nothing about it! 😀

Ben