Muroc Models Source??

I understand the owner of Muroc Models may have passed away but does anyone know of a source for their kits that have already been produced? I search eBay frequently enough and just don't see them, perhaps a shop out in the Edwards AFB area has them kicking around 🤷‍♂️

Specifically, I'm looking for the 1/72 HiMAT ,and M2-F1 Lifting Body kits.

I'd like to echo Whitey's sentiment here, I am always looking for their F-8C conversion kits, they're completely scarce. Whitey, maybe Rare Plane Detective has what you're looking for? I called them awhile back to see if they had any Muroc kits in their vast, unaccounted for inventory. 

Yeah finding older kits from smaller brands can be tough. Have you tried checking Yahoo Auctions Japan? I've found some unexpected kits listing there before. Otherwise maybe try reaching out to model shops near Edwards and see if any surplus stock got tucked away somewhere. When a company closes, who knows where their leftover stock might end up. Fingers crossed someone digs up a box of treasures for you! Also curious - what drew you to those particular Muroc kits?

On 12/14/2023 at 11:01 PM, AircraftAddict said:

Yeah finding older kits from smaller brands can be tough. Have you tried checking Yahoo Auctions Japan? I've found some unexpected kits listing there before. Otherwise maybe try reaching out to model shops near Edwards and see if any surplus stock got tucked away somewhere. When a company closes, who knows where their leftover stock might end up. Fingers crossed someone digs up a box of treasures for you! Also curious - what drew you to those particular Muroc kits?

Thank you, I'll check out Yahoo auctions, I never knew that was even a thing.

As to the why? A project I have in mind is to build a display of "Balls 8", using the Monogram 1/72 NB-52B, with the projects it had dropped from it through the years surrounding it:

• X-15 (x2, the black and the overall alabaster covered white one).
  • X-24A, and X-24B (Mach2 models.
  • M2-F2/3 (Anigrand models).
  • HL-10 (Anigrand models).
  • X-38 (Muroc models. I picked this one up a couple years ago with the intent to build "Balls 8" in it's later configuration).
  • and the HiMAT.

Doing a little research I've learned that the M2-F1 was never dropped from the NB-52 mothership but it would still be cool to have with the other lifting bodies. I may add some of the rockets and missiles it drop tested as well. 

I've always had an interest in Edwards AFB and the history out there...amplified by seeing "The Right Stuff" when it first came out. Yeah, I know, despite it's historical inaccuracies and all it is still one of the best movies ever! And at 14 years old with the plan of going into the Air Force, oh man, sign me up!

I went on to have a career in Naval Aviation (wasn't because of TOPGUN!) but we would frequently divert into Edwards AFB, where we had an alternate Alert Facility right there on the flight line (I crewed on TACAMO E-6A/B aircraft at the time). We'd have time off after long flights but still needed to be near the Alert, and in our flight suits unless we were going to the gym. Having Flight Line Access badges we'd go nose around at stuff all the time in the various hangars, or down by the NASA Dryden facility...holy cow, for an airplane geek like me it was like heaven. I loved when we got diverted into Edwards! We were there when they were filming scenes from "Armageddon" in the hangar next door to us and had to tell director Michael Bay "NO" when he wanted to use our aircraft as the backdrop to a particular scene. Hilarious.

Of course the first time there (1995??) I grabbed the duty van and drove over to the old South Field side of the base...I had to find the X-1 loading pit! It's located at the far end of the parking lot of what at the time was the B-2 test hangar...ergo, NO PHOTOS! Well, I had to take at least one of me standing down in there. Managed to do it without alerting the Air Force Security types.

It was probably on that first visit out there that I first saw THE "Balls 8"! I couldn't believe it was there! I saw the tall "B" model tail with the "NASA" yellow banner poking up above the building down there by Dryden, and figured it was a "pig on a stick" display but came around the corner and there she was all plugged and covered ("...all bridled and saddled" 😁) with power applied and guys working on her. We walked over and started shooting the breeze with some of them and they let us climb right on up inside her for a look. I have some photos kicking around somewhere from that time.  Of course there's the famous silhouettes along the side of her, telling the long history she's had out there. One of the guys pointed out a few other stencils and such applied to the airframe: "DO NOT REPAIR! NASA DUMPSTER IMPACT TESTING AREA" adjacent to a rather large dent in the aft fuselage section, another in the series of some rocket testing depicting the B-52 with a dangling rocket and "fire" with "TFHB"...? "The F(effing) Hook Broke"...which is what the Observer yelled over the ICS as they were on the takeoff roll. Lots of great stories from those guys. At the time NASA had the last of the SR-71s, two I believe?? One was in the hangar and they allowed us to climb up and sit in the cockpit...myriad of gages, switches, and circuit breakers. Great stuff!

At any rate, I've always wanted to do "Balls 8" and I think displaying it with it's own history would be pretty cool. Make for an eye catching display at shows I reckon.

Edited by 82Whitey51
On 12/13/2023 at 6:02 PM, 82Whitey51 said:

I understand the owner of Muroc Models may have passed away but does anyone know of a source for their kits that have already been produced? I search eBay frequently enough and just don't see them, perhaps a shop out in the Edwards AFB area has them kicking around 🤷‍♂️

Specifically, I'm looking for the 1/72 HiMAT ,and M2-F1 Lifting Body kits.

I ordered and received the HiMAT, AD-1, M2-F1, Sniffer I and III kits from Muroc Models in 2013. The M2-F1 is an impressive model, but I will probably never build it. I tried to find the kit in my stash, but it's not in the numbered storage box that it's supposed to. That means I have to go through all my boxes. Please hold the line..

Rob

3 hours ago, Rob de Bie said:

I ordered and received the HiMAT, AD-1, M2-F1, Sniffer I and III kits from Muroc Models in 2013. The M2-F1 is an impressive model, but I will probably never build it. I tried to find the kit in my stash, but it's not in the numbered storage box that it's supposed to. That means I have to go through all my boxes. Please hold the line..

Rob

Wow, thank you! It'll be a drawn out project, net even sure when I'll get started on it so, I'm plenty patient.

18 hours ago, 82Whitey51 said:

Wow, thank you! It'll be a drawn out project, net even sure when I'll get started on it so, I'm plenty patient.

I went through all my storage boxes, but no M2-F1 to be found. I sold a bunch of models in 2020, and I don't specifically remember selling the M2-F1, but it must have been among them. My stash book keeping did not register it either. Sorry!

Rob

2 hours ago, Rob de Bie said:

I went through all my storage boxes, but no M2-F1 to be found. I sold a bunch of models in 2020, and I don't specifically remember selling the M2-F1, but it must have been among them. My stash book keeping did not register it either. Sorry!

Rob

No problem Rob. I appreciate the time you took to take a look and make the offer regardless.

Shout out to fellow Southern Maryland Scale Modelers club member Dave for coming through with this one. Much appreciated!

Now to figure out how to make a 3/8 scale F-15 Spin Recovery Vehicle in 1/72 scale...what would the dimensions be?!  🤔  Oh jeeezzz, math in public!

IMG_0260.jpg

Edited by 82Whitey51