A-26K (B-26K) Counter Invader questions

Hi folks! I have a few questions one the counter invader, mostly centered around weapons carriage. First off, was a standard MER used for carriage of the flares, illustrated on the outer wing station in this picture? The carriage device in the ICM kit looks like it wants to be a MER, but I wasn’t sure if this is a unique A-26 piece of hardware.

Secondly, does anyone have info on what bombs were carried internally? Was it just WW2 era bombs or could standard MK82s be carried?

I’m sure I’ll have more as I start working on the kit. Thanks for the help!

mike

IMG_3480.jpeg

Doing an educated guess here but it looks like the rack on the wing is a MBR (Multiple Bomb Rack) and not a MER.

You can find a few pics of an MBR here;

As for what was carried on the bomb bay, I *think* they didn't carry anything on the bomb bay except for an extra fuel cell.

6 hours ago, GW8345 said:

As for what was carried on the bomb bay, I *think* they didn't carry anything on the bomb bay except for an extra fuel cell.

Pretty sure they did carry a bomb load during the war.   I have a book somewhere that discusses Nimrod missions and there were some pics inside that showed bomb bay with bombs loaded.   Also, the B-26K flight manual showed loads of info pertaining to internal bomb bay.   The internal fuel tank was used for long range ferry flights.

b26kflightmanual.pdf (tripod.com)

12 hours ago, Drifterdon said:

Pretty sure they did carry a bomb load during the war.   I have a book somewhere that discusses Nimrod missions and there were some pics inside that showed bomb bay with bombs loaded.   Also, the B-26K flight manual showed loads of info pertaining to internal bomb bay.   The internal fuel tank was used for long range ferry flights.

b26kflightmanual.pdf (tripod.com)

Thanks for posting that manual, that answers the OP's questions I believe.

Page 5-6 and 5-6A shows what weapon/stores were authorized for carriage and release from the bomb bay (page 5-9 thru 5-11 are for wing stations), please note the restrictions listed on page 5-5.

For what rack was used for flares on the wings, the manual lists it as the MAU-63/A. Now, what exactly is the MAU-63/A..........good question, I couldn't find any information online for the MAU-63/A.

There is a pic about half way down this site that shows an operational load in the bomb bay.

B-26K - Invader Historical Foundation (claybornglobal.com)

There is a really nice build over on a Japanese website.   If the OP is doing a 1/72 build, he can use many of the examples scaled down to fit.   I plan to bookmark this site as I still have the Cutting Edge conversion that I may use for a second B-26K.

A B-26K model in 1/48 scale (fc2.com)

4 hours ago, Drifterdon said:

There is a pic about half way down this site that shows an operational load in the bomb bay.

B-26K - Invader Historical Foundation (claybornglobal.com)

There is a really nice build over on a Japanese website.   If the OP is doing a 1/72 build, he can use many of the examples scaled down to fit.   I plan to bookmark this site as I still have the Cutting Edge conversion that I may use for a second B-26K.

A B-26K model in 1/48 scale (fc2.com)

There’s also a few pics of the “MAU-63/A” used for flares, looks like a Douglas MBR bomb rack to me.

Douglas MBR bomb rack

aHR0cHM6Ly93d3cuc2t5aGF3ay5vcmcvc2l0ZXMvZGVmYXVsdC9maWxlcy9pbWFnZXMtZ2VuZXJhbC9zbmFrZXllLmpwZw~~ (639×480) (menlosecurity.com)

Edited by GW8345

Here's a better photo of the bomb bay load: 4 funny bombs and six frag bomb racks. C.E.M. has 1/48 M31 funny bombs and M4 20Lb frag racks in 1/48.

I'm also looking for a photo of the jump seat on the right side of the cockpit behind the copilot/navigators seat. I assume it's just a seat cushion with a lap belt, but I can't find a photo.

I also suggest the book "The Nimrods." It's a good narrative on B-26K operations over Laos.

Mig

M32 Funny Bombs.JPG

Thank you for all the help guys! This is really great stuff. I am going to be doing the ICM kit is 1/48 as soon as the last of the aftermarket arrives. And the Nimrods book will be here in a couple of days.

Mike

Edited by Skinny_Mike
On 12/21/2023 at 4:59 PM, Rob Mignard said:

Here's a better photo of the bomb bay load: 4 funny bombs and six frag bomb racks. C.E.M. has 1/48 M31 funny bombs and M4 20Lb frag racks in 1/48.

I'm also looking for a photo of the jump seat on the right side of the cockpit behind the copilot/navigators seat. I assume it's just a seat cushion with a lap belt, but I can't find a photo.

I also suggest the book "The Nimrods." It's a good narrative on B-26K operations over Laos.

Mig

M32 Funny Bombs.JPG

It looks like there is also a fuel tank at the top of the bomb bay.

15 hours ago, Rob Mignard said:

That's correct. The filler is on the top of the fuselage just behind and to the left of the VHF antenna. It's a 100 gallon tank.

Mig

Learning all kinds of new stuff about the B-26K.  Thanks Skinny_Mike for the original post and Mig for the info.   :cheers: