Easy Company's C-47markings

Hi guys,

From what I can find, it was the 439th Troop Transport Group, 91st Squadron, that carried the guys from Easy Company into Normandy.  I have several questions about this:

1)  For starters, am I correct that this was the correct group/squadron that carried them?

2)  If this is correct, then did their C-47s have "W8" or "L4" as their code?

3)  What colors would these codes have been?  I've seen yellow and I've seen grey.

4)  Are the markings available in a 1/48 aftermarket set?  I've tried looking, but to no avail.  I figured the good folks here would be far more informed than I.

I appreciate any and all help/information on this matter!!!

Eric

42-100646, L4-E, Chalk No.67 - general consenus is that the serial was in yellow, and the codes were grey, as depicted in the paintings below:

We+were+a+Band+of+Brothers.jpg

D-Day-C-47-Dakota_R.Taylor_720723_o.jpg

Image-for-Mo-Sponsor-Levels-Print-Into-t

Eve-of-Destiny.jpg

Corgi released a limited edition model in their Aviation Archive die-cast range using the same combination.

018-2.jpg

Photo of another of the squadron's aircraft:

W-Aug20-C47-Crewman-9-1.jpg

Newspaper article about the aircraft's crew:

12248199_456641844538230_7878512013834847821_o.thumb.jpg.2b731bc1f897bab25e74fae069f52a11.jpg905749_456641857871562_8458424130752724852_o.thumb.jpg.8efca48fd264b9982de1844bf15b0db0.jpg

This link shows the aircraft's position in the formation for 'Mission Albany': http://www.6juin1944.com/assaut/aeropus/en_page.php?page=s12

Edited by andyf117
  • 2 weeks later...

Hello Andy and thank you for those AMAZING references!!!  For the markings, I'm thinking one of two things.  First, I'm hoping that yellow and grey serials and codes are available in decal form somewhere.  The next thing I'm thinking is that if they're not, then I might have mask the grey codes by hand or at least create my own decals.  IF that's the case, then does anyone know where I can find specs on the font?

Thanks you again!

Roger Freeman's book 'The Ninth Air Force in Colour' has just one photo of 439th TCG aircraft - it's poor quality, but does confirm light grey codes and yellow serial. Available to view here: https://www.americanairmuseum.com/archive/media/media-395789jpg

Photos showing other 91st TCS aircraft in Kenn Rust's '9th Air Force in World War II' and John Hamlin's 'Support and Strike', along with those below from Young's 439th TCG history "Into the Valley" all indicate that the L4 forward fuselage code was the 'standard' 48" size ('standard' as in specified, though variations were common), whilst measuring the individual aircraft tail letter 'E' in the above newspaper photo against the known 9" serial number, it appears to be 32" high.

313638928_Screenshot(298).thumb.png.18c89636d4cc4bdb5fc4df59aec31535.png1990484935_Screenshot(299).thumb.png.abad8c53833c160a2655de328d479b5f.png1165058455_Screenshot(300).thumb.png.8f234927aab9a603310761d63083e2d3.png

On 1/28/2024 at 8:50 PM, echolmberg said:

Hi guys,

From what I can find, it was the 439th Troop Transport Group, 91st Squadron, that carried the guys from Easy Company into Normandy.  I have several questions about this:

1)  For starters, am I correct that this was the correct group/squadron that carried them?

2)  If this is correct, then did their C-47s have "W8" or "L4" as their code?

3)  What colors would these codes have been?  I've seen yellow and I've seen grey.

4)  Are the markings available in a 1/48 aftermarket set?  I've tried looking, but to no avail.  I figured the good folks here would be far more informed than I.

I appreciate any and all help/information on this matter!!!

Eric

Hey Eric,

I happen to be in the middle of building "L4-E"  42-100646. I had a buddy make vinyl masks for the "L 4" and the "E" on the tail and wing. I downloaded "USAAC Stencil" font from the website  Da Font (https://www.dafont.com/). For the "L 4" and the "E" on the wing I sized them in Word at 115. The "E" on the tail was done at 80. The tail serial numbers were also done with a mask although I'm not sure what size they were cut in. There are sheets of numbers out there that you could use but since my buddy had the CriCut fired up I just had him toss them in. 

For the colors, I went with Gunze Aqueous  Light Gray (H338) for the "L4" and tail "E", and Mr. Hobby Character Yellow for the serial numbers. Tamiya Flat White for the wing circle and NATO Black on the wing "E".

I wished I had some of the reference pics shown here, because you'll notice my serial numbers aren't spaced out quite far enough, and the "L4" may be a little smaller??? I based mine off of the painting above showing Lt Winters addressing his men. You'll notice the "4" bisecting the venturi on the side of the fuselage and the placement of the "L" on the forward cabin door...however the black and white photo of "L 4 - B" seems to show no venturi on the aircraft...I'm leaving mine as is but you may want to experiment with smaller letters/numbers or thinner font.

During my reference research I did find that the 439th carried the aircraft identification letter on the wing as well, in a large white circle. That was cut from masking tape at a scale 6.5 feet diameter. Masking around the front door handle was tricky, I had to go back a fix some over spray.

I attached a list of the aircraft and paratroopers that I found somewhere, showing who was in what aircraft.

IMG_0668.JPG

IMG_0689.jpg

IMG_0716.JPG

IMG_0652.JPG

IMG_0654.JPG

Screenshot 2023-11-05 at 08.14.49.png

Band Of Brothers C-47s.docx

Edited by 82Whitey51
additional info
  • 1 month later...
On 2/12/2024 at 11:06 AM, 82Whitey51 said:

Hey Eric,

I happen to be in the middle of building "L4-E"  42-100646. I had a buddy make vinyl masks for the "L 4" and the "E" on the tail and wing. I downloaded "USAAC Stencil" font from the website  Da Font (https://www.dafont.com/). For the "L 4" and the "E" on the wing I sized them in Word at 115. The "E" on the tail was done at 80. The tail serial numbers were also done with a mask although I'm not sure what size they were cut in. There are sheets of numbers out there that you could use but since my buddy had the CriCut fired up I just had him toss them in. 

For the colors, I went with Gunze Aqueous  Light Gray (H338) for the "L4" and tail "E", and Mr. Hobby Character Yellow for the serial numbers. Tamiya Flat White for the wing circle and NATO Black on the wing "E".

I wished I had some of the reference pics shown here, because you'll notice my serial numbers aren't spaced out quite far enough, and the "L4" may be a little smaller??? I based mine off of the painting above showing Lt Winters addressing his men. You'll notice the "4" bisecting the venturi on the side of the fuselage and the placement of the "L" on the forward cabin door...however the black and white photo of "L 4 - B" seems to show no venturi on the aircraft...I'm leaving mine as is but you may want to experiment with smaller letters/numbers or thinner font.

During my reference research I did find that the 439th carried the aircraft identification letter on the wing as well, in a large white circle. That was cut from masking tape at a scale 6.5 feet diameter. Masking around the front door handle was tricky, I had to go back a fix some over spray.

I attached a list of the aircraft and paratroopers that I found somewhere, showing who was in what aircraft.

IMG_0668.JPG

IMG_0689.jpg

IMG_0716.JPG

IMG_0652.JPG

IMG_0654.JPG

Screenshot 2023-11-05 at 08.14.49.png

Band Of Brothers C-47s.docxUnavailable

Thanks for sharing this info and your impressive build!

Cheers,  Tom