Starting to look like an Ar 234

I got the airframe assembled today. If you have this kit to build, and haven't read any reviews, make sure you remove the (mis)alignment pins from the wing halves. Also remember to sand the cockpit bulkhead so it fits halfway between the cockpit module and the fuselage. Once thses things are done, assembly is smooth and quick. My cockpit is taped in place, just to make sure everything aligns properly.

Ar234Airframe001.sized.jpg

Ar234Airframe002.sized.jpg

Ar234Airframe003.sized.jpg

As you can see in this pic, my nosegear fork split when I inserted the wheel. It doesn't spread very far. Installing it while you build the nosegear will prevent breakage, but it will complicate painting. Fixing the break is easy enough, though.

Ar234Airframe004.sized.jpg

I almost can't wait to finish this one !

It's shaping up to be a real winner. :D

I'm not very familiar with this jet, why are there large clear parts on the top and bottom of the tail section? Is it for ease of masking the windows or is there internal detail there that you can show off? Inquiry minds want to know :wave:

Thank you D_IcarUS_, skuki, David, and Wing_Nut !

David - the NASM not only has a nice one on display, they have the only one in existence. I used photos of that bird to detail this one (mostly the cockpit).

Wing_Nut - the clear panel on the top is for the nightfighter version. The second crewman was seated there. The ones on the bottom are for the cameras of the recon version. It was a way for Hasegawa to use the same parts for all the versions. Had I been thinking, I would have painted the insides of these parts gray. Oh, well. Just spray a little extra paint there !

Thanks again !

It looks like it is coming along nicely Bill. Did you cut the flaps or does the kit provide them as separate items? I was watching a show of this aircraft on the Military Channel today and thought that I'd better pick up one of these kits some time soon!

Thanks Shawn !

I removed the flaps with a #11 blade. The plastic is on the soft side, making it easy. The Verlinden set has resin flaps.

I have that episode on tape, from when it was on the regular Discovery Channel. It's the only color reference I have for the main gear retractors and bomb recess in the lower fuselage. There is also some good footage of the RATO units.

Hasegawa produces two versions: this one (bomber/recon), and a nightfighter. The ProModeler kit (basically this one with a different cockpit and engines) is the "C" version. The "C" is also produced by Revell/Germany, and I believe it is a higher cost.

This kit (Ar 234B) has been on sale at Squadron for as little as $14.95 ! I got mine for $19.95. DEFINATELY a good deal ! Squadron now produces a vac canopy for this kit (I have one). The nose piece in the kit has a mold parting line which must be sanded & polished. The vac is much thinner & clearer. If you're comfortable with vacs, I'd recommend getting it (you only get one in the package).

Thanks again !