Doctorpepper's Victory 103 "Kate's Nickel"

This is the R/M F-14D kit... loaded up with a heckuvalotta steel beach stuff: Lantirn set, A/B update set, drop tanks, FOD covers, GE nozzles with FOD covers, plus Yellowhammer's decals for Victory 103 with Kate's Nickel. I won't be applying the kate's nickel bit, since brian marbrey said it was on for about 45 mins...

kit has been rescribed, nozzles have been squared off, the gaping seams filled...

here was the cockpit before it was put in...

more of the headless pilots

you can see the resin part of the RIO's panel.. it's from steel beach's A/B update set.. has the squared off PTIDS panel. the one i got was full of air bubbles and the surface detail wasn't as good as the kit ones... i suppose i just was unlucky there.. a bad batch or something :wacko:

Edited by doctorpepper

The pit in the fuselage...

you might be able to spot canopy rails i built as the kit canopy was gonna be too low in placement... i used normal squadron sheet styrene painted black

i also scratchbuilt the HUD from spare photo-etched metal i had... couldn't find any photos of the HUD so i just had to wing it with pictures from ARC gallery of other's cockpits.

lost the ejection seat handles to carpet monster :wacko:

here's my favourite part:

i asked around for photos of the pilot's helmets..

i didn't exactly have the helmets that are currently use.. (HGU-55s?) so i just used spare ones from the academy kit and painted them best i could...

brian marbrey said that "Grip" had a special yellow helmet, this was painted accordingly... i didn't have any photos of how his patterns would look like so i just.. winged it again

plus.. my marker pen wasn't fine enough to draw the skull and crossbones outline.. so i kinda shaded it in...

her's the RIO, "DJ"

Looks incredible!!! Was the RIO panel a difficult fit? It looks great!

just a little sanding...

however since there's pilots in the tub i decided not to fill in all the gaps between the tub and the fuselage...

brian... :worship:. darn! i really didn't know that... looks like i'll just leave it on then :thumbsup:

I bought several JR helmets, my HGU-33 from the 80s and the HGU-68 (current) will arrive this or next week. That´s the first JR helmet I bought (HGU-55P) and I saw it on several photos (still need an MBU-14 O2mask), though I don´t know if Grip´s helmet looked like this:

Edited by I.Illes

Finally got down to some work, after being swamped with project datelines (i'm still in the middle of them actually...)

Here's the fuselage and wings, painted with Kaan Gok's technique and futured. took some getting use to, that technique, and i think i cleaned up the upper surfaces a little too much, but i suppose i can say it was just.. "washed and scrubbed"

Hey doc-

VF-103 never carried the Phoenix adapter on the left shoulder pylon. Just an accuracy tip if that's what you're going for.. :cheers:

oh crap... so what B models carried them?

damm.. i was hoping to put a sparrow in the tunnel, a phoenix on the pylon and 2 sidewinders :thumbsup: