Guys, could you share the technique on how to use the Gunze laquer correctly ? I have several bottle of it on my shelf, and until today I didn't dare to use it because it dries too fast and it "eats" the plastic if applied too heavily, the reason I'm going to use this paint is because on some models the panel lines aren't deep enough, so if I use acrylic or enamel based paint the panel lines will be dissappeared, leaving me nothing to wash :wave: , what I need to know about this particular paint is what thinner should I use, how thin it should be so it won't clogged my airbrush.

:cheers:

JAhja

Gunze Mr Color Lacquer is my favorite paint brand. It airbrushes beautifully, goes on very thin, dries very quickly (faster than acrylics!), and is very durable. The solvent carrier is not "hot" and I have never experienced it "crazing" or melting the plastic. The best way to thin it for airbrushing is with Mr Color Leveling Thinner at a 1:1 ratio. If you use regular Mr Color Thinner you will have to add Mr Retarder Mild because the paint dries so fast it will dry on your airbrush tip and you won't be able to do any fine detail spraying.

HTH

------Bob

Gunze Mr Color Lacquer is my favorite paint brand. It airbrushes beautifully, goes on very thin, dries very quickly (faster than acrylics!), and is very durable. The solvent carrier is not "hot" and I have never experienced it "crazing" or melting the plastic. The best way to thin it for airbrushing is with Mr Color Leveling Thinner at a 1:1 ratio. If you use regular Mr Color Thinner you will have to add Mr Retarder Mild because the paint dries so fast it will dry on your airbrush tip and you won't be able to do any fine detail spraying.

HTH

------Bob

what's the diff between the levelling thinner and the normal one?

Thanks Bob, is there any substitite for the leveling thinner ? Gunze is not popular in my country, so just like any other guys here (In this topic) :thumbsup: , I never did have time to try out this kind of paint.

JAhja

Tamiya Lacquer Thinner can also be used for Gunze Mr Color Lacquer. However, you may need to add some Gunze Mr Retarder Mild to airbrush fine details. Mr Color Lacquer paints are not imported into the USA, although Mr Color Thinner can sometimes be found. I get all my stuff from Rainbow Ten in Japan and they are the only place that I have found for a reliable source of Mr Color Lacquer paints. I have used regular hardware store variety lacquer thinner with Mr Color paints, but it is quite difficult to do fine detail work with the airbrush because it dries way too fast.

For you gents that want to use laquer thinner I might suggest you go to whatever store you've got locally that sells paint for car repair. They've usually got different levels of thinners as well as retarder.

BTW, for our puposes you want a thinner that "flashes" quickly. That means the carrier evaporates quickly and doesn't sit there and eat the plastic. Some folks call this a hot thinner, others use hot to mean it eats the plastic. So elaborate when you're in the store.

hth