Thanks Mike!

Here's the finished bird drying on the shelf now. I'm letting the bird dry and I'm going to finish the launch pad display before I put the bird up vertically. The model is next to my 90 mm Orion Maksutov-Cassegrain telescope on a mini equatorial mount. Looking at the planets, the moon, stars, galaxies, nebulae, and star clusters has REALLY cut into my modeling time lately!

Justin

Justin,

Simply amazing work :lol: :nanner:

I got quite a rush Tuesday when Discovery blasted off to the heavens, what a great day.

I look at your kit and I see some really great things. One, I see that you are the first person here at the ARC that has gotten the ET colors exactly right. The oranges look just like the oranges in the photos of the real thing. Secondly, you have made those freakin windows look like real darn windows, I am still a bit baffled there.

Also, the finishes seem to be dead on with the mix of flats and glosses. Like I say color accuracy is key on shuttles and you have done that just right. You definately get my respects because you have built a great representation of one of mans' crowning engineering achievements.

Lastly, I want to thank you because your thorough progress posts and pics have given me a great refrence for doing my own Airfix shuttle. I hope to start builing it next year after I finish the 3 jets I have waiting in line. I think I will do Endeavour, also I think plans have it launching sometime in the first quarter of next year. I will dirty mine up a bit and add fabric/tape for the paneling.

I don't foresee this foam shedding thing will delay STS-121 for very long. I am in studying electrical engineering in college right now, and from an engineering standpoint completely fixing the foam problem is nearly impossible I think, there will always be some coming off, and I think there always has. As long as they can keep it from comming off in certain spots, which I think they have done, the aft part of the orbiter is not as big a concern for damage. The RCC demarcation line was well protected which I think is great, all foam stayed on above that line.

But I digress. You have done a stellar job. Maybe if the other base doesn't work out for you you could scratch build a true to life representation of the MLP, which would really be cool (I think the MLP has always needed to be a kit in itself). Held up by the proper supports just like the real thing of course. That would really make the whole thing just incredible. But the orbiter, SRBs, and ET are perfect.

Congrats,

Tiger

Edited by Tiger

Thank you Tiger! This was a long project, took 4 months to finish...this is the first shuttle model I've done that I was able to use all kinds of aftermarket stuff on as well as an airbrush, I've done COUNTLESS shuttle models in the past using "spray bomb" cans or in the early days, paint brush only.

Anyway, as for the windows, get New Ware's airbrush masks and then place them over the windows, and spray/airbrush the orbiter white. They weren't designed for the Airfix or Minicraft kits but are still usable, though there may be some problem spots (there were a couple of spots where I had to mask over a sliver of plastic, but the Real Space Models decal covered that up nicely).

The Minicraft kit's nose is badly shaped....you may want to get a Revell orbiter kit and hook that up onto the Minicraft ET and SRB's. Good luck on that kit!

Justin