90mm x 90mm for 1:72 and 120mm x 120mm for 1:48

That is a rough correlation on the size of concrete tarmac sections.

:cheers:

MikeJ (airfield designer hat firmly on)

Whatever the scale, go for squares that are a scale 6.0x6.0m, which is what Mike is suggesting for 1/72. In the real world this is about as large a slab that you would cast in concrete before adding construction joints.

Mike hit the button before I did!

Peebeep

Edited by peebeep
Whatever the scale, go for squares that are a scale 6.0x6.0m, which is what Mike is suggesting for 1/72. In the real world this is about as large a slab that you would cast in concrete before adding construction joints.

Mike hit the button before I did!

Peebeep

The largest concrete slabs that I recall being specified were 8m x 8m but that certainly is not the norm.

Like you say, 6m x 6m is the industry standard

MikeJ

ok

I use straw card (eg grey backing board to a notepad). You can buy a metre or so square for $2 at an art/craft store

I cut a piece to shape and using PVA glue it to a pre cut and shaped wooden base. Heavy books ensure a good flat bond.

I use a thin knitting needles (purloined from mrs madmike), which I scribe along pre-penciled lines at an angle to the front of the wooden base (10mm MDF or chipboard)

I then run black grey watercolour paint down the groves to represent the canite expansion joins between the concrete slabs.

I then colour the card with grey chalk pastels around the outside of each slab area fading the greay to a browner colour into the centre of each slab. A thinned mixture of the same watercolours is splattered around to depict oil stains and splashes.

I use wall plaster tinted with artists acrylic and mixtures of woodland scenics materials to finish the base off.

premiere%20hawk%20on%20base02.jpg

MikeJ