Question about BFM Training

I've been watching my American Fighter Pilot series, and I've gotten to the part where the guy busts three BFM flights in a row (don't spoil it for me by telling me what happens next!) Here's my question: in watching the show, you don't get a good feel for what the preparation for those flights is really like. All they tell you is that you get your BFM check ride, and you've got 40 seconds to kill your instructor. That seems awfully unlikely to me, given that these guys have only been flying the jet for a a few weeks compared to their instructor's experience. So, can someone who's been there (Murph, Waco) shed some light on what the training is really like? How do you go from your solo flight to BFM? How do you train for the various possible scenarios that your IP could throw at you? Are you really expected to "get it" after only a couple of tries?

Thanks,

John

John,

It depends on what "track" you are in. A "B course" student who has never flown fighters before (and which I'm pretty sure the individual in question was in) has four or five rides in the DBFM phase before they have a Demo-Pro (Demostrate Proficiency) ride. A "TX" student (who has flown fighters before) has only a couple before hitting that point. Bottom line, they intentionally put pressure on the student to see how they react.

Regards,

Murph

Hi Murph,

Thanks for the information. I'm curious, though...if you are a B course student who's never flown fighters before, how do you get ready for your BFM flights? After you've soloed, is it by classwork on tactics that you get ready to fight, or by more simulator training, or what? I guess what I'm asking is what is the process by which a prospective fighter pilot learns or prepares for BFM?

Does that make sense? I understand the pressure to perform well quickly, since slots are limited and a ton of money is being spent on training. I'm just wondering about what that training consists of.

Thanks,

John

John,

Before an individual shows up at an FTU, they have already gone through IFF (Introduction to Fighter Fundamentals) following pilot training. In this course they have learned the basics of offensive, defensive, and high aspect (neutral) BFM in some version of the T-38 (AT-38 or now the T-38C). They are taught by extensive preflight briefing, then having an IP in their back seat on most rides. At the FTU, again they have extensive briefings and debrieifings (using cockpit tapes) on the maneuvers to be flown, and on the first ride in each block the jet is usually flown dual. The dual rides are obviously not a player in the F/A-22; although, they only have experienced fighter pilots transitioning to it right now. On subsequent rides they are solo, but the IP in the other jet is still training them via the radio. In addition the IP will be limted in some manner (power/G/AOA he is allowed to use). As always the three fundamentals of fighter instruction are used: fear, sarcasm, and ridicule. :cheers:

Regards,

Murph

Edited by Murph
I'd have to imagine that for such an event the Instructors would have enough sense not to pull out all the stops right away.

That's part of what makes one an instructor instead of just a guy who knows a lot. It's one thing to know a lot, it's another to apply it while keeping in mind the training objectives for a given flight/simulator and the knowlege/ability level of those whom you intend to instruct.