Tam's P-51D 8th aces

Great! Thanks Dave and Greg, i wasn't looking forward to putting the hole in the canopy anyway. Just as a matter of interest Dave. You mentioned about taking up the slack in the wire. What you see there is actually INVISIBLE MENDING THREAD. It's very tough and thin and thats why i build it in to the plane. My next step would have been to thread it through the canopy and then glue it into place in the tail when i join the two fusalage halves. Works great.

Greg as a matter of interest, do i also remove the mounting plates behind the pilots seat?

Thanks

Geoff

Great! Thanks Dave and Greg, i wasn't looking forward to putting the hole in the canopy anyway. Just as a matter of interest Dave. You mentioned about taking up the slack in the wire. What you see there is actually INVISIBLE MENDING THREAD. It's very tough and thin and thats why i build it in to the plane. My next step would have been to thread it through the canopy and then glue it into place in the tail when i join the two fusalage halves. Works great.

Greg as a matter of interest, do i also remove the mounting plates behind the pilots seat?

Thanks

Geoff

thats a good question, yes. :worship:

I'm really going to enjoy watching this build as I'm hoping to do one of the Tam. 1/48 P-51Ds in the near future also. Unfortunately THAT boxing (with the modified sprue attachment points to the canopy) seems difficult to find now.

I stumbled across some notes that I jotted down a while back and they may be trivial (or perhaps even wrong; I haven't verified them anyplace else) but apparently when the aerial was present it indicated that a third radio, a Radio Range Receiver was included in the setup, apparently designated as a BC-453-B (at least that's what my notes say) and was used for weather reports, beacon signals and airport communication.

I'm really going to enjoy watching this build as I'm hoping to do one of the Tam. 1/48 P-51Ds in the near future also. Unfortunately THAT boxing (with the modified sprue attachment points to the canopy) seems difficult to find now.

I stumbled across some notes that I jotted down a while back and they may be trivial (or perhaps even wrong; I haven't verified them anyplace else) but apparently when the aerial was present it indicated that a third radio, a Radio Range Receiver was included in the setup, apparently designated as a BC-453-B (at least that's what my notes say) and was used for weather reports, beacon signals and airport communication.

I am also looking forward to watching Geoff work his magic, I really like the level of detail that I'm seeing here. :wave:

ummmm.. sorry I didnt mention this earlier. but, the head rest band should wrap around the the armour plate. I shot these pics of the ICM kit part (yep they got it right) the white plastic kept washing out the images so I used a marker to show the wrap better.

sorry I didnt post this sooner still should be a easy fix. just a couple of other notes that you may want to address. the fuel cell should be rubber colored and not green also the long tube going to the aft bulkhead is wrong where you have the tube comming from the tank you should have a fuel gauge (looks somthing like a periscope facing forward) then your missing the fuel filler neck which should go from the filler cap(on the side of the fuselage) directly to the tank.

Edited by TF51GREGWISE
sorry I didnt post this sooner still should be a easy fix. just a couple of other notes that you may want to address. the fuel cell should be rubber colored and not green also the long tube going to the aft bulkhead is wrong where you have the tube comming from the tank you should have a fuel gauge (looks somthing like a periscope facing forward) then your missing the fuel filler neck which should go from the filler cap(on the side of the fuselage) directly to the tank.

Hi Greg,

Thanks again for taking time out to look and comment.

1. First thing - that head rest thing that wraps around the armour plate - how does it look in front? I'm trying to see how to correct it, the back is clear but how does it look in front?

2. Thanks about the rubber tank, i forgot it but corrected - see

I excluded the filling pipe because it cannot be seen anyway once the fusalage is assembled.

As for the fuel gauge and cable. I worked off this pic and i tried to get them both in but in the end there simply wasn't enough space so i opted to show the cable only because it filled a bigger space.

Thanks again for the advice Greg - it really is appreciated.

Geoff

;)

Thanks Greg,

Does it go over the top as well?

nope it just wraps around .. we made about a half of dozen a few years ago I should have taken pictures before they were all sold, I'll look around for the original that we used for the pattern, I know that one wasnt sold. :huh: