Hasegawa Sabre Dog

Hasegawa 1/72 F-86D. Nice surface detail, fit on par with Airfix, styrene sucks (very brittle). Good kit if you can get it for $10, for the retail price get the 1/48 Promodeler kit instead. Paint is Gunze Mr Aqueous Color Silver. I'll take better photos later.

Edited by Old72s

Steel around the exhaust was represented with my usual metal shading technique -- flat stiff brush and black pastel. The pastel is translucent creating a subtle difference in shading without losing the metallic sheen. The only catch is that the surface has to be free of fingerprints -- otherwise your model will look like CSI evidence. :rolleyes:

Also, as you can see, the Gunze finish is a bit granular. Oddly so because the paint is perfectly smooth to the touch -- I think they use large particles suspended in a gloss clear. The effect is not as bad as the magnified photo but I probably won't use this paint again (shame too -- it can be handled in seconds without rubbing off or picking up fingerprints).

Edited by Old72s

Nice one!!

I remember the huge amount of work I had to do to get the exhaust and nose all smoothed out. I also dropped my build whilst polishing the plastic and the tub and intake came loose. A spell in the freezer was needed to allow the joints to be opened up.

Superscale decals?

:rolleyes:

MikeJ

Thanks Mike! This was my first foray into modern Hasegawa and I was expecting state of the art (per all the ooh-aahs). Pretty disappointing actually. I got a fantastic deal on several Hase kits on eBay (this, the F-104J and the good ol' RF-101C). Otherwise I wouldn't even touch them at the current retail price.

I agree, the cockpit tub placement was (to put it kindly) vague. What's wrong with the U-shaped channels Airfix/Heller/Frog use?

This is a different boxing of the kit with 512th FIS decals:

Edited by Old72s

Thanks for that!

Yeah, once done and all that effort is put into building the kit, they look good. But I paid AU$35 for my kit and was a tad disappointed with it construction wise as well. The F-20 is the same, needs a fair bit of cleanup to get ready for painting.

My F-86D got me Senior Grand Champion in 2003 at the club so I cannot complain really :)

Sounds you got a good deal for sure with those kits! I have heard the Revel 1:72 F-104's are very nice, are they Hasegawa reboxings I wonder?

:rolleyes:

MikeJ

I have been wondering the same. If you look at the sprue shots, the parts breakdown and the level of detail are identical (except the Monogram kit is a C which Hasegawa never made). Hasegawa F-104J on the left, Monogram F-104C on the right. Also see my preview of the Monogram kit on MM.

Edited by Old72s
I have been wondering the same. If you look at the sprue shots, the parts breakdown and the level of detail are identical (except the Monogram kit is a C which Hasegawa never made). Hasegawa F-104J on the left, Monogram F-104C on the right. Also see my preview of the Monogram kit on MM.

Well

Certainly seems that way. Also with the habit Revell has or reboxing Hasegawa kits :wave:

I have heard the Monogram kit is rather good.

;)

MikeJ