Got my Buccanear from Bill

thank you Mr. Bill Ficner, I saw the blue white and black chunky plastic and was flooded with childhood memories.

This should be a lot of fun. I'll be doing some extra work on the cockpit, but its purely OOB everywhere else.

anyone got any good photos/plans of Buc cockpits?

this is going to be so much fun 1218.gif

Ralph

PS I'll send in some pics of the psychadelic plastic when I get my camera batteries recharged :thumbsup:

Hi Ralph :wave:

I have a few pages right in front of me that I can scan for you tomorrow. I think I have more material somewhere in the books on my shelves, but I'll have to dig them out. Somewhere on my "favorites" list is a web site or two with more information.

This is going to be fun. No AMS on this one. I can now build that BAC Lightning without worrying about what the wheel wells look like. :thumbsup:

To madmike for starting this :thumbsup::thumbsup::cheers:

started gluing some of the major components. Im surprised at the descent fit. I'll need some sanding, but looks like little filler will be neccessary :thumbsup:

I tested the decals in my usual manner, took the company logo and put in on a futured patch of the inside of the fuselage. They work great!

Since the point of this build is to do it like we did as kids, i did what I used to for the cockpit floor. Just a piece of heavy paper shellacked with some varnish and painted.

Im still looking for cockpit photos so I can shrink the photos to 1/72 scale, cut them out and glue them to plastick backing plates.

What's the writing on the inside of the fuselage? Last time I had a Buccaneer, it was molded in green and gray. Never seen a blue and white molded one before (guess it was the RN version while mine was the RAF version). I have to wonder if Matchbox was taking cues from Dinky toys when they decided what colors to mold these models in. :cheers:

What's the writing on the inside of the fuselage? Last time I had a Buccaneer, it was molded in green and gray. Never seen a blue and white molded one before (guess it was the RN version while mine was the RAF version). I have to wonder if Matchbox was taking cues from Dinky toys when they decided what colors to mold these models in. :worship:

dont know what to tell you about the color differences. This one is RAF and not RN, so maybe thats why.

As for the writing. I always write stuff on the insides of fuselages as a bit of time capsule. I wrote in there the date i begam the build, the fact that its for an ARC group build, and the fact that that morning was this year's first frost in town. Who knows maybe 30 years from now a grandchild will get his little hands on it and break open the fuselage to see whats written in there. I also roll up a sheet of paper and place it inside, on there are writen major world events of that day.

ralph

This is the Airfix kit but you get the idea. The Airfix kit has a full depth/height nosegear well which is handy to glue the cockpit floor to. With the MB kit you'd have to bodge something (I'm thinking a lump of plasticene and some cyano ?). The PE is the only two useable bits out of the Airwaves cockpit set. I wouldn't bother again, a bit of 10 thou with holes drilled in it would look just as good.

Fiddly rather than difficult.

Stuart.

Edited by Stuart Porteous

going all the way like you did probably wouldnt be kosher for this group build. But Ill try a floor, IPs and side consols. How do you get profiles of the interior fuselage so that you can measure out the proper widths for the pieces you cut?

How do you get profiles of the interior fuselage so that you can measure out the proper widths for the pieces you cut?

I didn't. Just guess and keep trimming bits off til it fits. They dont actually touch the fuselage sides all the way along the back edge, but you can't tell. Making it look busy is more important than getting it strictly accurate. ScalePhantomPhixer I ain't !

Beer Monster - thanks for the tip. No way the Airfix version could be described as "minimal filler" !

Stuart.

How do you get profiles of the interior fuselage so that you can measure out the proper widths for the pieces you cut?

You could use one of these .

Peebeep

i figured that. We use something similar in the lab to get profiles of ceramics for profile drawings and reconstructions. I think it'd be poopood upon if i took one home though

• 2 weeks later...

I built a rudimentary cockpit. Just an extra panel for the navigator, some old IP decals cut up and scattered about the place, a simple throttle from plastic bits, cardboard floor, pin as control stick and black buttons here and there done with a micron-pen.

In the process of painting Johnny pilot and his twin brother the navigator (lets call him Tommy) . Wondering what color an RAF helmet from the squadrons in Germany in the 70s would be

will post photos when the figs are in their seats

IWondering what color an RAF helmet from the squadrons in Germany in the 70s would be

will post photos when the figs are in their seats

According to a quick perusal of Wg Cdr Graham Pitchfork's book "The Buccaneers", white in the early days, dark green after the early/mid 70s tone down. Dark (black ? green ?) visor covers in both cases. The change from red/white/blue roundels to tactical red/blue and overpainting of the light aircraft grey undersides in grey/green wraparound camo was done around the same time. However, there are pictures of OCU crews in white helmets in wraparound camo'd jets.

According to Ian Black ("Last of the Phantoms" - another book worth buying) RAFG Phantom crews usually flew in dark green helmets, being primarily low-level interceptors, while UK crews flew in a mixture, some prefering white for ops at high level (presumably cooler). Some crews also swapped their white knee pads for green ones. As RAFG Buccaneers operated in the same low level environment I doubt they were any different.

Dark Green helmets have a high-vis white cross on them in peacetime, as a visual aid to SAR crews.

Stuart.

(Edited for buffness wiv spelin).

finally got a bit of a break from all the work around here and slapped some parts together on the Buc.

I'm still realing about how large of an airplane it is, I sat it down next to my HE-177 (in 1/72) and it is almsot as long as that. A truelly brutish looking plane. The Matchbox kit is fun and cool, but i think the 1/72 world is long overdue for an other Buc release. I'd ask hasegawa but they're to busy releasing "new" FW 190s , F18s etc (blech!)

anyhow here is the pic. Lots of putty will be needed on this one.

and here are the pilots. Excuse the blur but I can't get my camera to focus on things this small; even with the macro setting.

They look pretty nice i think, with the exception of the Japanese cartoon sized eyes. However, they draw the eye away from the poorly detailed cockpit (see above posts) and they fill out the space

• 2 weeks later...

Its almost ready for painting.

I mentioned earlier that it looked like I wouldn't need much filler on this one. Boy, what a gross misjudgement on my part! :cheers:

In anycase, If you'll notice, a lot of the puttied gaps fall on actual seam lines. I'm having a ***** of a time scribing through the putty. Any advice?

next update when its all painted and decaled