X-tracolor

Guest ThudDriver

Guest ThudDriver

I'm going to use some Xtracolor (enamels) shortly, and was wondering if anyone has had any success in using "other" thinners with this paint ?? I have a half a bottle of Xtracolor "Quick Dry" thinner, but was wondering if there's anything else (lacquer or Humbrol Thinner) that will work with these paints in case I run out ? Also, does anyone here in the States carry this paint for a restock ?

Cheers

Frank :thumbsup:

I'm going to use some Xtracolor (enamels) shortly, and was wondering if anyone has had any success in using "other" thinners with this paint ?? I have a half a bottle of Xtracolor "Quick Dry" thinner, but was wondering if there's anything else (lacquer or Humbrol Thinner) that will work with these paints in case I run out ? Also, does anyone here in the States carry this paint for a restock ?

Cheers

Frank :cheers:

Good quality white spirits. I also add 2-3 drops cellulose thinners per 5ml mix and it goes on like a dream.

Hi,

I'm in Canada, so getting Xtracolor thinners has never been an easy option. After several years of experimenting, I've settled on using plain, old mineral spirits as my thinner of choice for Xtracolor paints - which I pretty much use exclusively. Lacquer thinner (cellulose) in my experience seemed to actually increase the drying time - but I may not have hit on the correct ratio. Using the mineral spirits, I get terrific results, and the paint is dry enough for handling after 6-8 hours. Plus - a big jug of mineral spirits costs less than a small can of Model Master...

Badgerman

Well,you know me,I use lacquer thinner for all my enamel paint..MM, Humbrol and a couple of tins of Xtracolor.I don`t use it very often ,but when I have/do ,I mix as I do for all other enamels...50/50 with lacquer thinner ( I don`t measure ,no time, not important ,use the whole milk routine ;) )

The L.T. will speed up drying,no question.Buy a gallon/4 litres for 17 -20 bucks.

HTH

Paul T

A word of caution about Xtracolor thinner--only use it if you are going to shoot ALL the paint you mix during that setting. If left even overnight it WILL cause the paint to curdle like spoiled milk. I've mixed Xtracolor with Model Master Airbrush thinner and it has stayed viable for more than a month; overnight with Xtracolor thinner and its time to throw it out. On the plus side, it does make it dry quickly on the model. You just need to be aware of its limitations before using it.

Guest ThudDriver

Jim,

THANKS for the brief. I truly love the paint's coverage and spraying qualities but know that it can be finicky. The last time I sprayed it (Jan/Feb) I noticed as you said, that once it's mixed, the shelf life is minimal .. (I Used the Xtracolor thinner). I had to remix another batch for the second coat. Still, for me, the pro's are worth the cons (??)..

After a summer of outdoor activities, it's good to be sniffing glue & paint again !...

Be safe

Frank