No.2 of my Matchbox Group Build entries; The P-47D Thunderbolt.

This'll be the second time I built this model. The first time, I avoided the natural metal finish and I remember not having any green in my (still meagre) modelling box, so I left it in it's two tones of blue, with the D-Day Invasion stripe decals...in fact, (cue wibbly-wobbly lines across my vision, as I go into Flashback Mode), I made a total mess of the decal strips, being unable to get them parallel, so I left them off. :rolleyes:

Whilst one of the early editions, todays model comes in one of the open-ended boxes.

Parts are flash-free, sink-mark-free and have raised panel lines! :D This surprised me...I'd've sworn all Matchbox kits had engraved lines on them. Perhaps the Trenchman, with his Trusty Teaspoon, was on his Hols? :D

I've just been checking out the modern equivalents of the Humbrol Authentic Range and have applied H176 to the interior, with an H33 Matt Black instrument panel, buried in the depths.

Made up the engine and glued in the seat...after a dry-fit, I find that I can install Johnny Pilot after the build. Nice engraving on the engine...should look okay with H53 Gun Metal and H56 Aluminium highlights. (Did the back plate black).

Is anyone else building this kit? Did anyone else have difficulty sticking the two engine pieces together? There's what looks like a large pipe (?) sticking out of the front piece, that looks as if it should insert into a hole on the back piece. No hole, so no fit. As I won't be able to see it once built, I cut it off.

Oh lookee...fuselage halves joined together...no gaps!

Love these matchbox kits! :D

Edited by Merlin_Jones

Hi Merlin,

As you'll see from my new thread, I'll be keeping you company with this one. I see what you mean about the engine. I can't see any point to the 'pipe' either so mine will be coming off too.

Are you going for the Natural metal/Olive drab combination too?

Steve.

Hi Merlin,

As you'll see from my new thread, I'll be keeping you company with this one. I see what you mean about the engine. I can't see any point to the 'pipe' either so mine will be coming off too.

Are you going for the Natural metal/Olive drab combination too?

Steve.

Nope...I'm going for the Olive Green/Grey undersides version.

(My last build was NMF).

Having completely built and undercoated the beastie, (and at the risk of teaching you to suck eggs), beware that the Part numbers for the undercarriage bay doors don't match the instruction sheet, which has you fitting starboard doors to port wing, etc.. Still...the fit's so good, you can build this kit by touch alone!

The engine dry-brushes up nicely, by the way.

Next job is to paint several coats of white around where the invasion stripes will be.

• 4 weeks later...

Things moved on a-pace whilst the Forum was down...

Several coats of white and masking tape,

...followed by the Humbrol Olive Drab and "Neutral Grey" undersides and, before I knew what I was doing, the black stripes were added and the canopy cemented in place and voila! One painted P-47D.

Problems came post-decalling; in spite of carefully measuring the invasion stripes, the letters and Stars and Bar insignia didn't fit in the same way as shown on the box art, with the S&B being too big and ditto the letters. The wing insignia were also out or register, with an unsightly white border on one edge.

(Not a problem I remember in my youth, but this IS an early edition, so such things must've happened back then).

Anyways, several cured coats of Klear later, I masked off the decals and painted over the offending whiteness and...

Yup! You guessed it! The decals came off with the tape. This hasn't happened before, so there's a first time for everything.

Bugger.

Found some suitable replacements, stuck 'em on, added an aerial wire and took me pickies!

Edited by Merlin_Jones
  • 3 weeks later...

Nice one (see my reply in the gallery).

By the way, I think the "pipe" on the engine is designed to ensure that the two piston groups are lined up correctly i.e. with one showing behind the other when viewed from the front.

Uneccessary for us perhaps, but a good idea to help Matchbox's target audience get it right.

Steve.