Obscure MiG-27 question

Hi there,

I was fiddling around with my Zvezda MiG-27 kit, and one of the options is the BA58 pod on the centreline for use with ARMs.

However, when this is on the centreline the're is no more room for the Gatling gun part.

On the real aircraft, is the gun removed on this 'Soviet Weasel' when the BA58 is carried..? I've browsed my references, but no dice on this.

TIA for any answers!

Andre

I'm pretty sure the gun (GSh-6-30?) was a permanent weapon. Are you sure your center pylon is tall enough? Here is a pic w/ the gun in place & a pylon installed (for fuel or weapons, I don't know). Sorry, nothing w/ the BA-58 in place.

HTH

Hi there,

the BA58 is not pylon mounted, but attaches directly to the belly of the aircraft. The pod consists of a bathtub shape, with a long antenna protruding out of the front of the pod which would interfere with the gun.

My reference books and Google doens't give much to go on... I have some pics opf the BA58 under the belly of the Su-17/22, but nothing on the Flogger.

Cheers,

Andre

Hiya Andre!

heres a pic of the V'yooga (snowstorm) Guidence pod on a mig-27K

mig27vyooga6bn.jpg

it appears to be set slightly back from the gun on the port side.

Hope that helps B)

regards

Raymond

Edited by Raymond

Actually this big conformic pods is not V'uga pod - it is Progress pod, it used on this MiG-27 for test launch Kh-31 missiles, it is pod with control and recording blocks. You nmeed this sat only if you want make this Mig-27 in this moment (display at airshow in Kubinka).

If you look better you can see pod V'uga - it is mounted on starboard underfuselage hard poin and look like cigar. Yes, Su-17 had V'uga targeting system for antiradiation missiles in conforn underfuselage pod, but this pod calling LO-86 "V'uga-17", on MiG-27 same electronical blocks had another case and calling LO-66 "V'uga". Initaally MiG-27 can carry only Kh-25MP (Kh-27) missiles, Kh-31 missiles was testing on Mig-27 in 1988-89, but newer being on regiments.

Hi Kotey,

thanks - great stuff! So, the BA58 pod is externally different from the Progress pod, or is it the same physical item with different electronics?

Cheers, and thanks again for the terrific pics!

Andre

BA58 - pod only for Su-17, Su-17m3 and Su-17m4 can carry two Kh-58 missiles (MiG-27 can't load this Kh-58) - so its is a little different electronical scheme.

Progres - it is not targeting pod, its designed especial for Kh-31 test launch on MiG-27, its include control and recording blocks for missile in-fly information. When it is mounted on MiG-27 fuselage gun removed - so it is not useble in any regiment, whos disarmed aircraft 6-barrel gun for use only one type missiles?

If say in statistic look USSR usually used as Wild Weasel Su-17m4 with two Kh-25MP(Kh-27) ore two Kh-58 missiles, MiG-25BM with four Kh-58 missiles and Su-24M with two Kh-58 missiles, MiG-27 more used with Kh-25ML laser guilded missile.