First Model in 11 years

I am re-discovering the challenge and fun of model airplane building from my younger days. I never attepted to paint those models but have begun painting the current project, a P-38. My problem is I used an acrylic base coat (testors) on the bombs which came black. I let dry for a day and then sprayed olive drab enamel (testors). The result was an ugly mess, the base coat peeled. I am NEW to painting models and would like to understand what went wrong?? :lol:

Jason

The problem you experienced is caused by painting enamels over arcylics. Enamel paints have a stronger base, and if you paint them over arcylics, the enamel paint will eat into the acryilcs. You can paint acrylics over enamels, just not the other way around. HTH, and welome back to modeling!

The problem you experienced is caused by painting enamels over arcylics. Enamel paints have a stronger base, and if you paint them over arcylics, the enamel paint will eat into the acryilcs. You can paint acrylics over enamels, just not the other way around. HTH, and welome back to modeling!

How come you can paint laquers over acrylics? laquer solute seems to eat everything it touches.

Mike

Example: Alclad over Tamiya Gloss Black.

You can argue either way, I find enamels more to my taste. But use acrylics for clear coats (future and MM flat).

I'm also in the process of trying how to get a gloss coat from tamiya gloss black.

Acrylics have a faster drying time, but they dont not re desolve with more painted added to it as enamels do.

This can lead to build up in an airbrush, paintbrush, and paintbrush marks over your models.

Mike

You can argue either way, I find enamels more to my taste. But use acrylics for clear coats (future and MM flat).

Starting with an enamel primer, I can then use either enamels or acrylics to paint and then Future to finish. :lol:

Will an enamel primer prevent acrylic paint from running and collecting?

If you mean whether the enamel coat will prevent the acrylic paint from covering correctly, I don't think there's a problem. Just to be sure, I would wait at least a couple of days for the enamel to dry, though. Even though the paint feels dry, if it has much of a smell, it still needs to dry.

Simple answer: hot to cold. Painting "hotter" paints (more potent/volatile solvents) over "cooler" ones can lead to problems.

Lacquers -> Enamels -> Acrylics (aqueous) -> Watercolours -> Gouache -> etc.

There are many exceptions to the rule, as not all paints (and many model paints) don't really fit neatly into one precise category. Some lacquer based paints are acrylics (like Gunze). Some aqueous acrylics (clear coats in particular) are resilient enough to be painted over with enamels (Future Floor polish is a good base for enamel washes, though not bullet proof), while some enamels can eat through some lacquers (washes over Metalizer sealer can be a tad dicey). And you can often find ways to get around solvent problems. It's all a process of learning and a product of experience. As you paint more, and read/hear other people's experiences, you'll get a feel for what will work and what won't. Starting out though, it's easiest to stick to the basic rule of cooler paints over hotter ones, with the one big exception being Future as a gloss coat (no real issues with enamels over it, lacquers may lead to some problems, depending on application).