Morning Mission (P-51) finished ...

Very pretty.

I've always been curious how an artist sets up something like that. I presume that there's some sketching involved and I imagine that you have some sort of reference(s) handy, but is there more to it than that?

More than idle curiosity is making the question. I draw, and have occasionally toyed with the idea of painting. One of these days I may actually take the plunge.

BJ

Hi BJ,

This page (and my site in general) will give you a good idea as to my working methods:

http://wademeyersart.tripod.com/id72.html

I generally always do things in this order for larger canvases:

1. Rough sketch.

2. Refined outline of the planes, etc (the most time consuming/boring part of the entire process).

3. Pencil study (1/2 scale).

4. Oil Study (1/2 scale).

5. Final art.

6. Waving goodbye at FedEx . . . :cheers:

For smaller, less complicated works such as the one above, I'll usually skip step 4 to avoid burnout.

Check out my site - I'll be happy to discuss art with you. Oh, ehangar.com is a great place for aviation artists to hang out - stop on by.

Wade

Is that a "one-off" or can we purchase one? I'm in Montgomery and will be in Birmingham next week on business, do you have a shop/store?

It's a "one-off" only (for now). I may publish it as a smaller print if my scan job comes out OK.

As for a "store", check out my site - click the URL below.

Thx!

Wade

Wade ,just want to say I can appreciate your work ,very nice...as are all your pieces.

In my picture framing days,I did a few LTD editions and other prints of aircraft ....but strangely enough,have nothing of the sort hanging in the house.

Seeing how I still have a bunch of matte board ,glass and stock framing,I should look into this one day.

Bravo Wade :D

Paul T

The site looks very interesting, I'll be exploring at length.

Interesting, steps 1-3 mirror the process I use. Not that I'm an artist of similar (or any) caliber; but it does seem to help mightily, taking the vision through a couple of processing steps and putting polished ideas in a sketchbook.

I'd get a kick out of hashing about art with a real artist, thanks for offering. I don't have any intelligent questions to ask, but feel free to e-mail me through the ARC fora if you want to talk art. I'm but an amateur (at best) but I'm always willing to learn.

BJ

• 3 weeks later...
just discover this art forum by accident, and your oil drawing is simply amazing, all i wish is having some freetime and take my pencil and acrylic back to paint once again, but time is missing.

great work wade.

Thx ... yes, time is something we all wish we had more of. I have three small kids (and another on the way - due March 2nd if my wife can last that long :thumbsup: ). Need I say more?

The key is to work smaller. You'll have less acreage to cover.

Here's a quote for those of us who don't have all the time in the world - it was a plaque on my old boss's desk over his computer:

Do not let slow progress dampen your enthusiasm!

Keep painting or drawing. Even working in your sketchbook is "something".

Wade

you are so right saying time is something we all wish we had more of, and evrything has a beginning, so let's draw and shut down my computer's 3d drawing software, but the airbrush needs to be clean up:( so just hand brushes painting and i leave that damn airbrush alone.

just hope you enjoy it.

ki1002hw.jpg

Very, very nice!

Right off the bat (I know it's an "in progress" work) I like the value range, that is, your darks are "dark", and your lights are "light". Not unnecessarily so, but the way it's supposed to be. Aside from compositional problems (a black art in itself), absence of a full value range is one reason paintings "fail".

Let us see more as you go!

Now, if you'll excuse me, I have to get back to getting my tax information in order - getting near that time here in the States. :thumbsup:

Wade

Thanks for your advices Wade, so much apreciated and i can't wait to get more time spending for the painting, it's really a good time for me painting with hand brushes, but as I'm a computer graphic artist and computers really take all the day time:(

But will show you some progress when i'll can, thanks again.