Making a Mig-29

Either the Italeri or Airfix kits are acceptable. Stay away from Hasegawa, Fujimi, or Revell; they are extremely innacurate. If you're so inclined Neomega makes a very nice resin cockpit for the Italeri kit, and I think Aires may also. Tally Ho and Aires also make nice resin replacement nozzles for the Italeri kit too.

Regards,

Murph

goedemiddag Mad Viper,

What scale?

If 1/72, Pavla make a nice resin replace cockpit. Gewoon te koop bij Luchtvaarthobbyshop.

As kit, I like Italeri too.

Greetings,

Joachim

ps; If you don't want to use the Ukrainian decals maybe we can swap?

Well, talking about kits the story is the same as with the Su-27: there's not an accurate kit. These planes made such big news when they appeared that everyone wanted to add a kit in the catalog but there wasn't enough data for an accurate kit (and as every manufacturer now has it, it's unlikely that Hasegawa and others will scrap the mold to make a new one).

The least inaccurate kits are Airfix and Italeri (maybe because they were realease an year or so after the others...)

Bilek makes a nice MiG-29 that is a reboxed Italeri kit with a better decal sheet and a couple on nice photoetched parts (mainly hud and mirrors)

Airfix has more "shape" problems than Italeri, but better details (undercarriage, nozzles, missiles and rails are ok, but the spine seems a bit too narrow and the wings are oversize), the Italeri instead is almost spot on the drawings but lacks in details: cockpit, nozzles and missile rails are inaccurate (and the missile rails are in the wrong place, beeing far too back. Also the panel lines are a bit "soft" and not so accurate).

So the best starting point is the Italeri kit, but it requires some work (maybe taking some parts from the Airfix kit). The main mistake is the cockpit: the overall lenght of the canopy is good, but the cockpit tub should be shorter and area with the circuit breakers box longer.

Talking about detail parts, there's a resin cockpit from neomega (but it has some shape problems around the instrument panel and in the circuit breakers panel behind the seat).

The Aires set looks much better, but I wasn't able to put it inside the italeri kit without quite some heavy "tweaking" (and I think the shape of the circuit breaker box isn't so accurate).

There are also a set of photoetched parts from Airwaves and Part. The Airwaves has some problems (it is designed as an add-on to the italeri cockpit so it shares the shape problems (too long). Anyway before the Aires set came out I used the neomega cockpit with airwaves sidewalls, instrument panel, and circuit breakers box to get a good replica of the cockpit.

I never got the Part photoetched cockpit set, but from photos it seems nice.

Talking about nozzles, Aires are great, Tally Ho seem a bit too fat.

Btw. For the ones who still haven't given up :thumbsup: there's another big mistake in all the MiG-29s I've seen so far: they all depict a Fulcrum with closed main intakes and open auxiliary ones, but this happens on the real thing only if the engines are running! To depict a parked Fulcrum you need to reverse the order (closed auxiliary intakes and open main ones) or to cover both kind of intakes with protective covers. Part makes nice ones in their "MiG-29 airfield accessories" photoetched set, but they can also be scratchbuilt with some plasticard.

The 4+ book is the best source for drawings and photos to make an accurate model

Hope this helps. Gotta write an article on how to fix the Italeri kit someday...

Yuri

Edited by Yuri

Wow thanks for the great explanation Yuri.

It's gonna take a while when it comes to buying it. This is what i think i'm gonna get for know.

- Bilek Mikoyan MiG29 Fulcrum " Czech AF" (Ex Italeri), Does anyone has a shot of the Decalsheet or the kit?

- Pavla Mikoyan MiG29A Fulcrum Cockpit detail Set (Italeri)

Don't know if i'm gonna build a Polish one or Czech one. But for know these are the things i'm gonna get.

Well, I have the Kondor "Fulcrum-C" kit. The shape isn't bad (even if I think the bigger Fulcrum-C spine is a little too big), but the smaller parts are grossly oversize (mainly the missiles and missile rails) and in general lack in detail. Dunno about the Fulcrum-A but I suspect it's more or less the same, anyway I'd be glad to hear I'm wrong :thumbsup:

Also the ICM and Eastern Express Fulcrums should come from the same molds: given the level of detail of the Kondor kit of course I didn't get all of them just to check :D but I'm told they are reboxings.

Talking about detail parts, I forgot that Equipage makes a superb set of resin/rubber wheels and PP Aeroparts (out of business, but this set has been taken by Flightpath) makes a very nice photoetched set with both the free standing and Clip-on access ladder.

About the Bilek kit, I have the "standard" one (no. 920) and it has decals for a russian "red 06" with sharkmouth, a czech "black 5918" with tiger stripes on the fins and a crow, german 24+14 and slovakian "black 6829", plus a set of stencils. Dunno if the "Czech Af" has a different decals sheet.

Yuri

Edited by Yuri