1/72 Hasegawa F-15C Progress

I've started on the painting stage:

f-15_build_paint1.jpg

f-15_build_paint2.jpg

An earlier image showing the Eduard pre-painted instrument panel:

f-15_build_cockpit.jpg

In person, the contrast between the light ghost gray and dark ghost gray is more stark and almost looks like a mod Eagle. I think the natural light or the camera blended the colors well and look pretty good. I'm not sure if masking hard-edges makes for a greater contrast in the colors. I still have a lot of touch-ups to do and other portions to paint but she's getting there. I still have to figure out how I will handle the red canopy frames. Also, since I'll be doing the box-art version of an Iceland bird which I think is from the mid-80's, I'm not sure how the missiles would be painted and have to look into that still.

Oh, PS...the vertical and horizontal fins are attached only temporarily for this picture using poster tack stuff and you can see some of it (the white globs) sticking out from the seams. These parts will be glued later on.

Edited by StevenJ

I had a question in another thread about the red canopy frames but have since started on that. Here's the painted canopy and next I have to do the front windscreen.

The forced-perspective makes the model look huge, but I'm holding the pillow the aircraft sits in with my left hand and shooting up close with my right hand and the dog is a ways back in the background on the couch. This 1/72nd stuff is actually very dinky!

f-15_build_canopy1.jpg

I have a block of overspray to the very front bottom of the canopy that I have to remove somehow. I already did a quick test with a toothpick and the paint isn't scratching off. I'm going to let it rest for now though.

Hopefully I can actually finish this build before the end of the GB.

I have a block of overspray to the very front bottom of the canopy that I have to remove somehow. I already did a quick test with a toothpick and the paint isn't scratching off. I'm going to let it rest for now though.

If the toothpick doesn't work, try polishing the canopy. I use Brasso for polising canopies, other options are purpose designed plastic polishes or even toothpaste.

Regards,

Murph

Thanks for the kind words. I'm not sure I'll be able to make any further progress anytime soon with my schedule coming up and I have to make at least some progress on my F-8 for the other GB.

I was hoping the toothpick might flick off the paint easier once it dried a couple days but barring that, I may have to add some polish to my rubbing. I was trying to avoid that because the canopy has future on it and not sure if I'll get a dull spot to the shine. I guess I can always re-dab some future over the spot and hope it works its magic and lays down seamlessly and flat.

Missile question: I'll be finishing my build in the 57th FIS markings that come with the kit but I have no idea of the time-frame for these markings and so am not really sure how to paint the missiles. I'm guessing it's from the early to mid-80s but if anyone knows for certain, I'd like to hear. The box art doesn't have an armed aircraft so that's no help. Also, I don't have the fast packs so will dress the aircraft up with three of the newer style drop tanks that I've taken from my 1/72 Hasegawa Phantom II stash. They look slightly beefier than what comes with the kit.