"Dirtying up" windshields

Anybody have any tips on how to "filthy up" a windshield on a vehicle, i.e. Humvee, jeep, etc.?

I'm about to be working on the Italeri 1/48th ground equipment kit here soon, and I want to do some weathering on them (speaking of weathering, I'm assuming the method to weather a vehicle is similar to the methods used on a/c).

one way to dirty up a windshield is to spray it with a flat. yes a flat. you may want to mask off the area that would be wiped by the windshield wipers first. then give the flat a wash with a nice muddy brown or dusty brown, depending on the environment. since it is flat coated, the wash will spread and stick to the whole flat coated area. makes a nice dirty looking windshield.

one way to dirty up a windshield is to spray it with a flat. yes a flat. you may want to mask off the area that would be wiped by the windshield wipers first. then give the flat a wash with a nice muddy brown or dusty brown, depending on the environment. since it is flat coated, the wash will spread and stick to the whole flat coated area. makes a nice dirty looking windshield.

This works great. Done it many times....

For my 1/48 Tamiya Kubelwagen I masked off the portion cleaned by the wiper blades and then airbrushed some MiG Pigments mixed with alcohol. I then took a mixture of MiGs and water and hand brushed a little bit at the limit of the wipers' travel to simulate the build up that happens there.

The beauty of the pigments is that you can wipe it all off if you muff it.

kubelwagen_tb07.jpg

Cheers,

Tony

Jay's technique is also very useful for things like taking shiny chrome car wheels and giving them the brushed-metal look, such as for the classic slotted mag wheels.