Cutting Edge 48419 F-8A/B/C/D/H/K/L conversion

Hey folks,

Well i'm thinking about building a 1/48 F-8H in the near future,not for the GB as i doubt it'll get finished in time..but i thought i'd post here to get abit more exposure.

Anyway has anyone used this set?,is there anything to look out for with it.

Any info would be most welcome.

Cheers,

Gary

Edited by mungo1974

Mungo,

Using it as we speak on a F-8H. Seems pretty good so far. The top right picture is what you get (photo is a little fuzzy). Bottom pic shows adding on the forward fuselage. Not bad so far, but have a little sanding and filling. Top left pic is the wing, which seemed to go on pretty easy. MTF because I plan an article detailing the work.

Edited by Chorse6

Hi Gary,

There are a couple issues with the CE conversion nose. Its major problem is that it is designed to use the kit windscreen as is, but the kit windscreen includes part of the fairing added to the nose to accomodate the larger APQ-94 radar used on the F-8E/E(FN)/J. As a consequence, the CE nose is slightly too wide at the front, and the shape of the radome in plan view is incorrect, and there is a "step" between the windscreen and radome that should not be there, particularly when viewed from an oblique angle. It is also not quite right in profile, since the early radome, like the E as well, is not symmetrical in profile. If you check the reference section here in the GB, I posted some comparison photos of the early and late noses. On the plus side, it fits very well, and is dead simple to use, and will more than adequately pass the first test (it looks like a small nose Crusader) as is. Thomas of 3rd Wire Models has a new conversion in the works that looks to be more accurate, but I don't know how close he is to production.

Cheers,

Tom